1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter stolen, any decent aftermarket options?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by leftovercrack, Jan 28, 2023.

1. leftovercrack

leftovercrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately my catalytic converter was stolen last night. I need to get it replaced ASAP. I haven't been able to assess how bad the damage is. What are some good, reputable aftermarket options? And what kind of mechanic shop should I take it to? Just a regular place or a muffler shop?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on what state in the US you live in... Some states like California make it far more expensive to replace them than other states. LEt us know the state and we can give you a range of options.

3. leftovercrack

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Fort Worth Texas. Also, do any of the anti theft devices actually work? I saw someone commenting on a video about an anti theft device saying it was simple to bypass.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's the one we've tested and recommend: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193690871378 for states like Texas that don't have strict requirements.

And as for preventing theft, if you live in the bad part of a major city it's almost impossible to prevent, but if you don't a simple cat shield for $70 will discourage most thieves. You can also install a tilt alarm that would help. Or get crazy and do what this guy did: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRppvDWJ/

5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The one cited on eBay is for a Gen 2 Prius. The OP's profile states that his car is a 2011 Gen 3 Prius. It will not work.

The Gen 3 Prius has an exhaust pre-heater filled with coolant. Has the car lost coolant. That would mean the pre-heater was cut. It would be fortunate if the pre-heater is intact. That would make a much simpler repair.

6. leftovercrack

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed that the ebay link wouldn't work. I think I'll go with the Magnaflow on Amazon that should arrive on the 31st. As you mentioned there is a pre-heater, I won't know if it was cut until I get off work. I'll try to contact a muffler shop to see if they would be willing to work with this setup.
    Magnaflow cat:
    https://a.co/d/5E0PuhY

7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  8. leftovercrack

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm definitely not disagreeing with you since I'd love to save money, but how certain are you of the quality of this product? There is no mention of a warranty (just a return period) and no mention that I can see about whether or not it will pass emissions. Again not arguing, I'd love to save $900!! but I need to minimize the down time of my current vehicle as much as I can, I don't want to replace the CC just for it to fail emissions and then I have to re-do it.
    edit: I just saw on the product details that it does say there is a 5 year manufacturers warranty, so that question is answered. I see there is an EPA certification mentioned, but I googled the MFR part number and got what looks to be the same part sold by other brands, looks like it passes emissions?

#8 leftovercrack, Jan 28, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Grit likes this.
  9. leftovercrack

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honestly my skepticism has piqued even more after some thinking. How can they sell a new cat for less than what a used one is worth? I mean they're supposed to have a few hundred dollars worth in precious metals alone. How can they sell it so cheap? Sounds like they skipped out on the precious metals part, but I'd love to hear some facts that contradict this!

10. Ozzbo

Ozzbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi. Which catalytic converter can you recommend to buy and install in Austin Texas for Prius 2nd gen? Mine was stolen

11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you wanted to go cheap and wanted one to just pass the smog test to sell the car, I'd buy one off of eBay made and shipped from Canada. The Canadian make a great many of the OEM converters sold and installed in vehicles in the US, Mexico and all over the world.

For longevity, my personal choice would be this one;

Walker Exhaust Ultra EPA 16337 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is the one we've recommended in the past... I've installed lots of these. It's a direct fit, no welding required. Comes with 5 year / 50K mile warranty and price keeps dropping. I guess aftermarket cat makers over-invested in inventory for the cat theft epidemic? https://www.ebay.com/itm/193690871378

13. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a picknpull, and honestly, you can get away with putting another cars cat in yours. They all work the same to an extent.

14. Ozzbo

Ozzbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've ordered this one

Attached Files:

15. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You will not find any Gen 2 catalytic converters at any salvage yard. They are worth at least a thousand dollars to any person living in a CARB required replacement state. A new one for the cost about 3K.

You are fortunate that you can use a non-CARB EPA approved replacement.

Priipriii likes this.
  16. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats true, i normally see the priuses at a salvage yard already had their cats cut off. But new ones they bring in if youre lucky has all their parts. And ive been lucky. But i live in a non california state, a red state if you will, so i could straight pipe my car in theory if i wanted to. Last time i actually had a physical inspection done was 6 years ago. I dont even go anymore because i can just renew the sticker online. Its just a tax at this point.

17. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the amount of cat thefts going on in recent years there's no way a wrecking yard is going to put a vehicle on their lot with the cat still on it. That's not going to happen... And besides, you'd need some welding skills to make a different car's cat fit.

Meanwhile a direct fit aftermarket cat is now in the $80 range...

18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're going to find that buying and fabricating a straight pipe will much more bother and will end up costing not much less than a cheap cat that bolts right in.

PriusCamper likes this.
  19. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to mention loud and annoying. Unfortunently, they dont really take time to unbolt it properly and just cut it with a bandsaw or cutting wheel.
    So ill have to weld it on anyways.

Straight pipe is mainly to clamp it on temporarily until i have the time and material to work on the car.

20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The $88 direct fit cat I linked to at the start of this thread installs without welding and can arrive in a few days. The method they used to cut the cat out does not interfere with ease of installation of aftermarket cat. Once you get the car up in the air you're looking at an hour of work if you got basic skills. Why in the world would you want to turn such an easy job into such a huge multi-stage nasty smelling air polluting hassle?