Catalytic Converter Stolen - Parts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jamesprius, Jul 30, 2020.

1. jamesprius

jamesprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Like a 2-3 month waitlist.

Also, is it no longer possible dm someone anymore? Seems like the feature is disabled on priuschat?

2. Another

Another Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    California, land of dreams. Paradise lost.

3. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    And this helps people how? Please move out of California. Did you ever live in LA in the 1970's, you know what Smog was like?

4. babbles

babbles New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just had mine taken on a 2001, OEM part replaced only 1 1/2 month ago, i want to do a claim to progressive but not sure they'll drop me for a claim after just having the insurance about 2 months or not? Does spray painting the cat do any good?

5. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I'm putting a $85 gen2 one from ebay in one of mine right now. I'm gonna post a video on how to prevent it from getting stolen.
    Painting them bright orange header paint. I changed the bolt heads to wheel lock lugs. Weld some thick steel rod to the pipes
    so a rotating cut tool won't work, and even a saw will take a long time (too long). Put your license plate number on it grind it into the cat, put lettering "WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE -- Death to cat thieves" and run a 300v wire across the pipe...ok, still working on the 300v part..

I've also worked on a detector that notices when a flashlight is shined under it, when it is raised up by a jack,
    and then it texts my phone with pictures and I can reply with "kill them"..... ;)

WHCSC likes this.
  6. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    So I bought a gen2 cat on ebay, priced at just $80. Well....it gets a P0420 indicating that it is a fake cat..I did get the code to go away with the 02 spacer trick. It won't be used for smog checks, so ok I guess, I don't want check engine light on so far that wil work.

7. jamesprius

jamesprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How hot can the paint withstand? According to this article cats can get up to 1600F. How hot does Catalytic Converter Get? | Informative Article

8. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Header paint is rated to 2,000F which is what I used. Seems to have held up so far, including I used nail polish to write on the pipe "Danger High Voltage" and wrapped bare copper wire around the pipes to run 3000 v through.

I also added a razor sharp saw toothed sheet metal under the car screwed into the 'frame' rail hanging down with "Warning High Voltage You will Be KILLED"

WHCSC likes this.