1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic converter stolen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Luisa Hindle, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Luisa Hindle

Luisa Hindle New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in NYC and my catalytic converter was stolen from my 2005 Prius (and the oxygen sensor). It has 210,000 miles and works well. I just cant afford to buy a factory cat. What is the better brand or type of catalytic converter to buy? Will these aftermarket converters pass inspection in NYS? Im hearing mixed responses from different people.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You may need to contact someone at the motor vehicle division to find out what is required m allowed for inspection.

The last time that I had checked a few years ago, New York had adopted California emissions standards and as such an aftermarket catalytic convertor was acceptable only if it was designed and sold as meeting California standards.

Since presently CA only permits a factory replacement for the Prius I am not sure where that leaves you. Hence the suggestion to call the DMV.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.