1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Catalytic Convertor at 107K

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dkahl, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dkahl

dkahl Band Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I just got back from the dealer because my check engine light was on. They found code PO420 and recommended a replacement of the catalytic convertor. It seems many on here have had problems with this for Gen. 1, but not Gen 2 Prius, so I wanted to let you all know and see if a new cat is the way to go. I didn't see any similar issues on my PC searches. BTW, cost estimate was $2119!

Luckily for me, Steve over at autobeyours is only 30 minutes away and he's taking care of me in the morning.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. Where did you typically buy gas? Did you ever use any kind of fuel additive/gas treatment/injector cleaner/mothballs etc.?

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the cat covered on the emissions warrantee? (100k I think. A failure at 107 and I would be on my dealer to cover it,, probably to no avail).

Icarus

4. dkahl

dkahl Band Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope, no weird gas or additives. Normal Circle K or Thornton's gas. Dealer was no help, either (other than the estimate).

I had it repaired today, and Steve didn't think it was anything unusual. I still think it was pretty early for one to go, but who knows?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Emission warranty on PZEV:
    Fed: 8yr/80K
    CA/NY (and states adopting CA emission rules): 15yr/150K
    Well, I think you are out of luck in term of warranty.
    Please research Indiana's emission rules at state level.
    I don't think Indiana adopts CA rules.

A new CAT at 107K is not unheard of. You may have a heavier foot than others, or you may simply have a worse CAT that others. Too many factors.

STP Gas Treatment is simply jet fuel. It does not hurt CAT in any way. I have used it in all my previos vehicles for 7-8 years of ownership. No failed CAT yet.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? 'Cos jet fuel is nearly Diesel fuel. Good luck putting that in a gasoline engine :_> I see that STP does call the carrier of their additives "Jet fuel"...

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From what I recall it is primarily kerosene, not diesel. Diesel is a heavier cut.

107K seems early to me, mainly because I've never had a cat go with less than 150K (and that was an old K-car with massive blow-by.)

I would be looking for an assignable cause. Who killed the cat?

8. dkahl

dkahl Band Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nothing seemed out of whack, according to Steve. I'm the second owner, too, so no telling how it was driven before I bought it. Thanks for the replies, though! I appreciate the info!