1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Caterpillar Ships Diesel-Electric Tractor

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Feb 5, 2010.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Source: Caterpillar
    Class: PRESS RELEASE
    EV WORLDwire: Caterpillar Ships First D7E Diesel-Electric Tractor

Saves thousand in fuel per year. Editorial: Here's my take. This techo whiz relates to the Prius. It will be legally safer to build hybrid farm equipment than a road certified hybrid. Bad brakes? Run away problems? Heck, you just jump out. Sadly, in an age of federal over regulation & crash testing, we will see fewer & fewer techno things come about, due to the item(s) not being perfect, per 100,000 units. Even those rare numbers will give rise to injuries that bring multi million dollar legal settlements/litigation.

Just last night on the history channel they had a spot on Harley motorbikes being made at the turn of the century. I couldn't help think how if a 100 years ago we had our present system of perfection demands, the entire industrial revolution would have been quite different.

End of rant, and back to the cat. I'm surprised that diesel tractors used for hauling trailers across the county didn't come to market first. I have seen a Volvo rig shown off, but I don't think it has hit the marktet yet. With such a potential for fuel savings, what's up with that?

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Diesel over electric works great in locomotives. For huge torque needs, this is the only way to go. I'm surprised they haven't tried this in mid-sized earth moving equipment before (the really big stuff already uses diesel electric).

As for consumer demands for too much functionality, without consumers wanting better vehicles we would still be driving cars the same as those made in 1976. If you didn't live (and drive) through that era, it is hard to imagine how truely horrible those cars were. Barely functional.

What if we were satisfied with the safety record of airplanes from the 1920's? Or medicine before WW I? We would still be drinking radium-laced water as a "cure-all" prescribed by doctors (which they actually did back then).

Time, and technology, marches on. Consumers should demand perfection, but not expect to get it. Also, people should take responsibility for their own actions. I want Toyota to recall my 2006 and give it new software, because I definitely experience the brake loss over bumps almost daily on the horrible Denver streets. But I get by with braking technique to mitigate the problem.

If my throttle stuck open, I would expect Toyota to fix that, but I wouldn't expect them to reimburse me for an accident because I was too poor of a driver to not simply turn the thing off (or shift it to neutral). I had a car stick wide open once, and I reached down and turned off the key. No panic, no drama, no crash (and that was a hot rod 1966 Corvair with a Olds 455 where the back seat should have been - enough torque to move a house and considerably more acceleration than most Toyotas with a stuck throttle).