1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cause of premature OEM bearing failure?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NBABUCKS1, Jul 15, 2018.

1. NBABUCKS1

NBABUCKS1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2009 Prius, 110k miles. 2 months ago I replaced a failing bearing/hub assembly (the classic ROAR failure...louder at higher speeds, roaring like a lion). Followed a youTube video did all torque to spec, etc. I replaced it with an OEM bearing from ToyotaPartsDeal.

Fast forward 3000 miles later the new bearing is already failing. It is not roaring like the previous bearing but rather there is play in the wheel when I rock the tire side to side with my hands on the tire. In addition when I go down a gravel or any bumpy road it makes a metal on metal thunk sound (sorry I can't quite come up with the words to describe this).

I took it to the dealer yesterday to diagnose the issue and the play in the bearing was the only thing they could find wrong with the vehicle.

Also of note when did the last bearing replacement I ruined the CV axle threads and had to replace the CV axle. I don't know if there would be any relationship here.

Lastly of note this same tire has been having air pressure issues. I have not taken it to the tire place to see if it's the rim or the tire (I'm in rural canada ATM).

So what would cause this? Anyone else have this issue? Could it possibly be the rim (air pressure issue)?