1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD burning question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rangerdavid, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have a 2006 Prius with the JBL Audio upgraded sound system. What I have done in the past is burn CDs with mp3's that I like. I can only get around 10-15 songs per CD, much like an album. I understand that the CD player in the Prius can read folders. Is that true?

Question: If the above is true, then how can I burn a CD and get more songs on it so the Prius stereo will still read it? My computers are windows XP pro and I usually burn with windows media player 10, Nero, or Roxio CD creator.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks ..... :D :D

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You should be able to fit way more songs in mp3 format. Your burning software may be taking your input of songs and converting them to audio CD format to burn. That's a common default setting, since more CD players don't play mp3 CD's.

I'd recommend using iTunes for a couple reasons. First, it makes organizing your files a bit easier, playlists are much less of a hassle, IMO, than WinMP, and it can also burn discs for you straight from your playlists.

In your recording preferences, just make sure you select "MP3 CD" as the type of disc to burn, and you'll be able to fit 100+ tunes on a disc.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks Ichabod.....

Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. And I thought I was fairly computer literate, it's just that no one has ever told me this information before..... :D :D (so I gotta ask, regardless of how ignorant it makes me look) :lol: :lol:

I guess I thought I was burning them as mp3, but maybe not since I have never looked into the "preferances" menu. Probably was audio CD format, I'll check now. What about the "folders" thing, will our stereo/computer/car read folders? Actually, I guess if I modify the preferences and can get that much more music on one disc, I don't really care about folders anyway.

thanks again.......thats pretty cool, an answer in 15 minutes..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can do folders, but check the manual for folder recursion depth... it won't go more than a certain number of folders deep. But if you're just organizing with a folder structure that's like /Genre/Artist/Album then I don't think you'll be in any danger of files not being read. Also, I think there's a max number of files you can use... like 255 or something, but if you have average-length songs with moderate-to-high quality settings when ripping, you probably won't approach that limit

I do like the iTunes method though, because once I have playlists set up it's effortless, and it takes all the files in a playlist and just dumps them to a CD. I don't care for folders since I have my albums lined up in sequence on my playlist, and I can hit "random" if I want some variety, or quickly use the tuning knob to skip lots of files at once.

Smart playlists in iTunes are nice too, as they can automatically update based on a variety of user input, including file size limit... so you can force auto-generated playlists to always stay under 700mb and always fit on a CD. Useful if you have an iPod too, but an iPod is by no means necessary to make good use of iTunes.

And don't sweat it about asking seemingly simple questions. How else are you supposed to learn?

5. custodes

custodes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 27 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]310110[/snapback]</div>
    Rangerdavid ,
    burn the cd as 'datadisk', that's all.
    grz
    Custudes

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, yeah, if you want the SIMPLE approach ;)

An "MP3 CD" is just a data disk that happens to have MP3's... so if you have a disk with MP3's and some other files that the CD player can't read, it will just ignore the ones it can't read.

I recommend iTunes as a simple approach, and software that I think makes organizing and burning the files you want easier. Almost an out-of-the-box solution, except that you have to change one setting in your recording preference for iTunes.

7. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Aug 27 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]310100[/snapback]</div>
    Burn as a data CD, not a music CD. I routinely get well over 100 MP3 on a CD.

8. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes simply put.

-Burn a DATA Cd.
    -If you can, convert your MP3's into WMA (stands for Windows Media Audio) these are usually half the size of your mp3. I have regularly 250+ per CD.