1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD changer error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by michaelene, Sep 19, 2008.

1. michaelene

michaelene New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello!
    I have a 2004 Prius with a 6 CD changer.

I recently loaded 6 CDs. (I didn't know you could load 6 at once, so I loaded each one individually.) After loading the 6th CD, I got an error.

Now, when I press the Eject button, the FM radio comes on.

None of the CDs will play or eject, but the radio and tape player still work.

One of the local Toyota dealers told me that "they don't work on radios, they just pull them out and send them to California" and that a repair might be around $325.

Any advice?
    Thanks!

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    the repair manual is really skimpy in this department

does the cd player have power?
    did it eject when you press and hold eject for 2 seconds?
    if not replace radio

its probably going to take serious disassembly to get your cds out

any chance that a cd became damaged or had a home made label?

any chance you purchased the extended warranty in 2004 which would of covered this?

on occasion i could get cds and vhs tapes out of decks that had no power by opening the cover up and spinning the wheels manaully... you could try that.. might save you $325 if it was a stuck label inside the changer

if you can manage to get the cds out manually and you are pretty confident you can install the cd changer, you can just buy the part yourself. you would save a lot of money, i think it goes for $200 on ebay?

or 325 - 450.00

3. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah all the ones i see are $455, so maybe that $325 the dealer quoted wasn't such a bad deal

4. michaelene

michaelene New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the response!

I think the CD changer has power, because the CD disc lights are on.
    If the mode is CD and I press the disc number, the CD disc light switches to the disc number pressed. When I press Eject, the mode switches to FM2.

If the mode is FM1, and press Eject, then the red light on the CD disc blinks, but nothing happens

If the mode is FM2 and press Eject for a longer time, then all the red lights blink, but nothing happens.

If the mode is CD and press Eject, then FM2 comes on.

A car stereo guy looked at the system, but he thinks that the problem might be something between the computer and the CD - rather than the CD player especially since the FM2 comes on when the eject button is pressed and the mode is CD.

Does that make sense?

5. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    fortunatlely, we do not have to do any real troubleshooting here.

i'm just trying to think of things you can do before spending $455

#1 any and all problems with the cd player are kept in the diagnostic log. go to that diagnostic screen on the mfd by pressing display and then hit the magic buttons 3 times (upper left, lower left) and post the log maybe i can decipher it

#2 maybe you can try disconnecting the 12v ? or disconnecting the fuse to the cd player and to reconnect it?? maybe the disc just needs to be reinitiialized??

#3 take the head unit out and try to eject the disks manually?

#4 maybe the cd player has an emergency eject hole you can use a paperclip on?

6. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    more on #1 in previous post.
    errors with the cd player are logged on system check mode:
    cd=ch1 (cd changer #1) address 360, cd-ch2 (cd changer #2) address 240

ok = ok
    exch = device responds with a replace dtc, look up dtc code in log and replace the unit
    chek = device responds with a "check" dtc, look up dtc code in log
    ncon = unit was previously in the system but now disconnected (check power connection)
    nres = unit responds in diagnostic mode, but gives no information (check power connections)

unit check mode
    we are going to look for current and memory coloumns, xx-xx and xx-xx

were intersted in errors in the format 62-xx
    (stock cd player)
    62-10 mechanical error 62 - 11 insert and eject error 62-12 abnormal cd reading error
    62- 40 no disc 62-41 wrong disc 62-42 disc can not be read 62-43 cd rom abormal
    62- 44 cd abnormal 62-45 eject error 62-46 scratched /revsed disc 62-47 high temperature 62-48 excees current 62-50 tray insertion ejection error 62 - 51 elevator error 62 - 52 clasp error 62-78 dsp error 62-7d disc cannot be played
    62-7e no playable files 62-7f copy protection error

cd changer: we are going to look for errors in the format of 63-xx
    63-10 CD Changer Mechanical Error
    63-11 CD Insertion and Eject Error
    63-12 CD Reading Abnormal Radio
    63-40 No Disc 1.
    63-41 Wrong Disc 1
    63-42 Disc cannot be Read
    63-43 CD-ROM Abnormal
    63-44 CD Abnormal Radio receiver
    63-45 Eject Error Radio receiver
    63-46 Scratched / Reversed Disc
    63-47 High Temperature Radio receiver
    63-48 Excess Current Radio receiver
    63-50 Tray Insertion / Ejection Error
    63-51 Elevator Error
    63-52 Clamp Error
    63-78 DSP Error
    63-7D Disc cannot be Played 1. CD
    63-7E No Playable Files
    63-7F Copyright Protection Error​

just about everything in the repair manual says replace unit. sucks. does not describe how to get the discs out!
    repair manual says specifacally not to disassemble unit

7. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    #5 - who manufactured the cd changer?? was it toshiba or denso or some other company besides toyota? do they repair the cd changer? will they swap out the cd changer by mail ? can they help you get the discs out?? do they have a tech support department?? if i remove the cd changer from the car and mail it to them ups or fedex will you fix it? send the discs back? replace the unit? do you have a flat rate ?

8. michaelene

michaelene New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hello!
    I got the diagnostic codes:

63-44
    63-51
    63-44
    63-51
    63-44
    63-51

9. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah ill check the repair manual when i get home. its probably just going to say replace unit or check wiring harness...

elevator error implies that there is something wrong with the mechanism that goes up and down .. disc loading problem.. its either probably broken or it is blocked by the CD or a home made label. cd out of alignment could maybe produce this too?? maybe the actual cd can be nudged a little to load properly. maybe a slight nudge with the cover off could coax it to work

10. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i wonder if clearing the code , and then turning the prius off and on again and immediately holding down eject would be worth a shot.

like trying to eject it, before the cd player has a chance to report an error? hmm

11. michaelene

michaelene New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks again for answering my posts! I went through the entire forum last night. There are a few other CD changer, CD Error posts. I think all but one post had zero replies.

I forgot to mention earlier...
    the CDs that I had just finished loading were 6 CDs from an audio book that had just been taken out of their brand-new, sealed package. So, a homemade label can't be causing the problem.

When I checked the diagnostic codes, there was only one screenful with the 6 codes I listed. Are there multiple pages of diagnostic codes and I just didn't know how to access them?

I didn't clear the codes, but I don't see any reason why not to clear them now. Do you?

Where did you get the list of error codes? I didn't see those in the manual.

12. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    its in the toyota pruis repair manual "av" section
    they both imply mechanical faults and to replace the unit
    i am just thinking of some other things you can try like nudging the disc
    before spending $455 for a new cd changer

13. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    had the exact same problem. Even included loading the CD's from an audio book!
    I dismantled the CD player and found out that during the laoding process a couple of the CD holder/guides mis-aligned and the CD's jammed.
    Since I din't take it easy in the removal (which was very diffiucult) I just removed the entire guts of the changer. Now I don't have a chnager but am planning to put some other electronics in the opening soon.
    It may be possible to get everything re-aligned without destroying the unit, but it really isn't designed to be dismantled.

14. michaelene

michaelene New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be interested to know what you choose for a replacement!

15. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    you cant even take the top off just to nudge it with a plastic thingy without ruining it?

16. PatrickEE

PatrickEE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2008 Prius has "CD Error" message in CD mode (radio is fine). I can't eject or play CD (touching the display moves CD to next CD on display but it doesn't shuffle to the next cd nor play). It has CDs in slots 1, 3, 4, 5 now (2, 6 empty/ejected). Most CDs are original, I think one is home made/compilation songs, which worked fine many times before. Has anyone found out how to fix it? (other than replacing whole unit or destroying it to get CDs out).

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if you can add another CD or two the to fill it up then remove them?