1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD changer on Prius III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grahamy, Jul 20, 2009.

1. grahamy

grahamy New Member

Model:
    III
    Last week I took delivery of a Gen III Prius III with solar roof and nav.
    Dealer sticker states 6 CD disk changer.
    Specs for Prius III states 6 CD disk changer.

Only just checked the audio a few days after purchase and find it has only a 4 CD disk changer. Seems to have 8 speakers but not sure 8 are working.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Would appreciate feedback from other Prius III owners.

2. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The two front upper speakers definitely drown out all the rest. I'm not even sure that I could tell you where the remaining 6 were supposed to be. I assume there's one in each door but that leaves two missing. If you change the fade to the rear you can hear the others start to come in, but it seems the quality drops markedly.

I think your problem with the CD changer is that you have navigation- you lose two spots for the navigation CDs (or it may just be a different unit). If you look at the documentation on the navigation package, it says four-disc CD changer.

3. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    grahamy,

Accordingly is right. If you get the NAV option, the number of CD slots drops from 6 to 4. I have a IV, and that's how it is on mine. For me, the documentation spells that out in the NAV option section.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Right, 6 CD in-dash changer OR 4 CD behind-nav-screen changer. Liked the Gen II better - 6 CD in dash AND Nav on the standard MFD.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is correct. This is because while they had the same physical space to fit the unit (Nav vs. Non-Nav), they needed to be able to get a second laser pickup, and dvd drive in order to read the DVD Navigation data while listening to CDs.

I have a Prius V, Nav, and the same is true of my model. While at first I was a bit taken aback at the apparent 'downgrade' to a 4 CD (+ 1 Navi DVD) changer, I am fine with the limitation, as I now understand the need for it.

Besides, this also means that I now have Bluetooth Audio streaming, so I rarely use my CD Changer now anyway!

6. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1. BT Streaming Audio is definitely great. I thought I would miss the two CD slots, but I use the streaming audio so much, that I have not even needed to load up a single CD. It's a great feature.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    beisdes, if you burn your CD's to mp3's you can hold a bazillion songs on 4 discs

8. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the same on the IV, as well--the sticker is listing "standard equipment", not the specs for the options on the particular car. You often see the same thing where a 5 speed is "standard" but an automatic is listed in the options section.

9. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

And remember that the 4 discs can be MP3 format which means you essentially can hold the equivalent of 40 CDs in the changer!

Stu

10. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are 4 speakers up front. (2 tweeters in the upper corners of the dash area, and 2 in the doors.)

There are also 2 speakers in each rear door. (1 tweeter and 1 woofer per door)

1 person likes this.
  11. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How did I know you would be using the bluetooth streaming audio?? :D

Everything well?

12. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Love it! I think that the best, and most reliable sound is from the BT Streaming. I am thrilled with, but not so much with the iPhone's limitations on the BT service. For the moment I can only Play / Pause, but rumor is that a future iPhone OS Upgrade will allow test streaming / and catalog play from screen.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically they're "squawkers", not tweeters. They're over 2" in size and handle much lower frequencies than a tweeter would (hence why they likely drown out the 6x9's in the doors).

14. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a car on order, with the cd is there a ranom play button that will pick song from all 6 cds, or does it play 1 cd at a time:confused:

15. P3III

P3III Gen 1 and Gen 3 owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have only been able to use random play on a single CD. I'd love to know I was using function incorrectly, but have not been able to find anything to the contrary.

16. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Random play using all the CDs in a CD changer wouldn't be practical, due to the unloading/loading process.

1 person likes this.