1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD player retrofit, 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TVT_Design, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TVT_Design

TVT_Design Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My car came with the tape player and I've been looking how to retrofit the CD player option. All of the units I've come across on ebay look like they won't fit in that tape area. Am I missing something?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2000 or older Toyota 1-DIN type radio w/CD Player should work. It would fit in the storage compartment below (cause I think the tape player is "integrated" into the dash, no?).

3. TVT_Design

TVT_Design Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I never even thought of that as an option because it sat so low, but yes you are correct that the tape is integrated.

Any reccomendations for a good spot to get one?

Also, can I just swap in an aftermarket unit? Are the wires there to hook it all up?

I have the touch screen thing with a navigation option, but no navigation. Is there something I can buy to make this feature usable?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure any aftermarket unit will fit in there. I don't know how to hook it up as i'm not electronically-inclined. I'm sure an audio installer will know. There may be an extra spot (For the CD player since Canada got a CD player as standard equipment) for you to plug in an external unit. There was one on our 2005 to plug in the DICE unit.