1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD-R in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tleonhar, Jun 5, 2005.

1. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got our Prius Wednesday, I read in the book last night that CD-R and CD-RW may not play in the Prius CD player. I haven't tried to play one yet but am curious if others have. When I would listen to a CD in the car I would like to use a copy rather than chance my original getting wiped out while the car sat in the sun all day.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine have played just fine. In fact, when burned with Nero, they display the album/artist/track data that is not shown with the originals.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What I use is a CD-R. I use iTunes to burn them, and simply choose to burn them in "Audio CD" format rather than MP3 or other formats.

I have 2 CDs in my changer done this way and they work great.

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

The Prius will play home made CD r and CD rw. But they have to be made into audio format. The Prius cd player will not play mp3s. So they have to be converted.

That said, this is really a computer question rather than a Prius question. There probably exist cd burners that will make cd r or cd rw disks that won't play in the Prius. But those are likely old burners.

And as Evan said, Nero will go onto the internet and find out data about the music and add that data to the file. Of course it will only do this if you have an open internet connection, and if Nero recognizes the songs/album.

I would think that iTunes does the same thing.

5. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have the standard CD player and it plays my CD audio encoded CD-R's spotily. Specifically, it will have intermittent dropouts which increase in frequency as the CD plays. The exact point at which it starts and how bad it gets varies even with the same CD-R. My wife's highlander has the same problem. The problematic CD-R's play just fine in my aftermarket player in my Corolla and in players throughout my house including the cheapies. I've varied CD-R brands, burners, burning software without noticing a trend. At first I thought it was the labels I was putting on the CD-R's as unlabeled ones didn't seem to be as bad, but still had problems. I current theory is that the player heats up the CD-R's, exacerbated by the thicker labeled ones, and creates tracking problems as the head spirals outward. But I'm not sure what I can do about except just play commericial CD's on hot days!

6. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Make sure to use the silver media. Some dark blue media does not work well. Make sure the disk is finalized.

Blue

7. duanerw

duanerw senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I seen an article a couple days ago saying you should not put a label on the cd's for your car as the heat will cause the label to come off and screw up your cd player.makes sense to me..................

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I usually just write on them with a sharpie. Labels seem like a waste to me.

9. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have never had any problems with CD-Rs in my Prius. I recommend using them instead of commercial CDs because:

1. You can keep the expensive originals in a safe place where they won't get scratched or melted.

2. You can add CD-TEXT info so you can see the disc and track on the MFD. Nero and Toast can add CD-TEXT with info off the internet--iTunes gets the info but does not add CD-TEXT data to the audio CD for some reason.

3. You can create your own custom playlists.

As mentioned earlier, the CD-Rs must be burnt in audio format. I have not tried CD-RWs but they tend to be more problematic in my experience. And since CD-Rs can be gotten for a few cents each, I don't see the need to use CD-RWs (which are eraseable but more expensive).

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've used both CD-R and CD-RW media in my Prius without any problems. Obviously, it makes a lot more sense to use CD-R. My Windows XP Pro came with Nero and it seems to work well.

I've always used a Sharpie to label media for the car/truck. I had a bad experience around 15 years ago when a label came off a cassette and really jammed things good.

11. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I haven't had any problems with CD-R's in our JBL stereo. I haven't tried a CD-RW as they don't seem to be worth the money for me. I have one burnt CD that is now starting to skip, but I think it just got scratched.

I have played CD's burn from Roxio EZ CD Creator and JetAudio (with and without CD-text) no labels and haven't seen any differences in playback.

12. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I'm not sure, but can extreme heat (like the interior of the car) cause darkening or other modifications of the image on a CD-R? That might explain why it develops skips. If this is the case, and given how cheap CD-Rs are, I'd keep the original safe, make two copies, one for the car; when it craps out, burn another. Like has been posted, it's nice to add the CD-Text info to the copy.

I only wish the CD player would (1) play MP3 CDs, and (2) show me a track listing using the CD-Text, so I can jump right to the song I want.

13. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

I have been burning my CD-R copies with RealPlayer v10.5 and it gives you lots of options, including automatic entry of the author, track name and album info, that it picks from a web database. As said above, the track info is displayed without a problem in the Prius MFD.

14. majordude

majordude Member

Do you guys use standard (data) CD-Rs and record them as audio or do you actually buy music CD-Rs and burn to that media?

15. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(majordude\";p=\"95851)</div>
    Data CD-Rs burnt as audio work fine in the Prius.

16. infoguy

infoguy New Member

Ditto. I read that, too, but I've had no problems playing the tunes I've burned onto my CD-R's. :D

17. prius04

prius04 New Member

Data CD-Rs and audio CD-Rs are the same medium. There is no difference in the disks.

The only difference is in the fact that for the audio CD-Rs, a small "tax" is sent to the music industry as a kind of royalty for all the music that is burned onto them.

Their being better for music is a "crock".

18. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Mine are the Music CD-Rs, 80 min/700MB, but I do not actually know whether that makes any difference...

19. majordude

majordude Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"95854)</div>
    Really?!

I feel like a sucker!

:bootyshake:

:lolup: Kick me hard!

20. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(majordude\";p=\"95856)</div>
    Dont feel bad, someone has to help keep members of the RIAA & MPAA in limousines.