1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD text rarely displays- why??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by larkinmj, Apr 2, 2007.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I have the JBL stereo with 6-disc changer and MP3/WMA capability. I have observed that it displays artist/album/song info for very few (maybe 3 or 4) of my CDs (for instance, it works with the new Neil Young release). This applies even to new releases, and I thought that all audio CDs these days have text encoded. I'm curious as to why this is so.
    I have burned a number of MP3s onto discs, and when I play those the ID3 tags always display.

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This might have been covered in a few other threads, but commercial CD's rarely have CD TEXT. I have thousands of CD's and I've only had a single one that was encoded with CD-TEXT. I think there was a goal at some point to have all cd's encoded that way, but now it seems like they just don't bother.

When I make copies of my commercial CD's, my software downloads the track names and then burns it with CD TEXT, so my originals don't display the text but the copies do.

I usually keep my originals in the house and then make mp3 compilations, which as you have stated always display the ID3 tags.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 2 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]416525[/snapback]</div>

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm gonna this part to that. If you use MP3's at all and the track info was typed in, it will sometimes not work or display differently for each track/album etc. This is because different download sites/people tag their music in different ways. You can use a free program like www.musicbrainz.com to keep everything formatted the same way.

4. TonyM

TonyM Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Apr 2 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]416525[/snapback]</div>
    Don't mean to hijack, this is pretty related.

This is odd to me. I cannot get my headunit to display ID3 Tags at all. I only get the filename and the folder name. The ID3 tags are on the files, but the headunit only shows the filenames. Any thoughts?

Thx.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyM @ Apr 4 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]417783[/snapback]</div>

Try using the program I posted to tag stuff.