1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CD Titles and iTunes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DougSlug, Jul 4, 2006.

1. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I burn a regular music CD with iTunes, the Prius cannot read the CD name and track titles. The CD plays just fine, but it won't display the names on the MFD. I assume that the data needs to be in some standard format that iTunes doesn't normally support (or intentionally avoids). Maybe it's just a setting that needs to be changed, but after searching around in iTunes, I couldn't find anything.

Is there a way to get the titles to show up on the MFD using iTunes only, or do I need to work around it by ripping the CD and manually entering the text using some other application (Winamp? I'm not familiar with it yet), then re-burning a CD? I was hoping to avoid that...iTunes generally makes things very easy, that is, unless you're using anything other than an iPod.

A lot of the tracks came from the iTunes Music Store, so the licensing scheme doesn't allow me to write the files in MP3 form directly, and it may give me trouble when trying to use a different application. I saw some other threads that mention some other applications to use, and I don't have a good feeling about this. I'm not sure anyone will have anything new to offer on this topic.

I often use the iPod in the car, but it's nice having a selection in the 6-disc changer for when I don't have the iPod with me.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DougSlug @ Jul 4 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]281193[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Doug,

I was at the Apple Store awhile back and they concur. To strike the deals with the record labels, certain "sharing functionalities" were disabled or not made available. Not exactly sure what this entails but I've just come to the conclusion that anything that is purchased from the store cannot be exported or burned for use on another mp3 player or a burned CD. However, keep this in mind, directly from Apple:
    You can export a playlist and import it on a different computer so you can have the same playlist in iTunes in both places. You can also export the playlist to save a copy of it.
    and,
    If your computer is connected to any other computers over a local network and you're using iTunes 4.5 or later, you can share the music in your library and playlists with up to five of those computers (the other computers need to be in the same subnet as your computer and also running iTunes 4.5 or later). Sharing is intended for personal use only.
    This functionality is rather easy for those 5 computers will also have iTunes, so revealing the titles etc. is a no-brainer.

Any who, I just checked and none of my titles show up on the MFD even for the brick and mortar store bought CD's, does your's? And yes, my burnt iTunes CD of a brick and mortar doesn't show up either? BTW I'm using iTunes on a Mac, driving a 2004 Prius.

3. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    iTunes won't do it.

The songs that you bought from the iTunes store will be a pain, but it's possible to liberate them from the iTunes AAC format and get them to mp3. I only use iTunes on my mac, but when I want my purchased music to be in mp3 format for other uses then I make a playlist and burn an audio cd then stick it in my PC and convert the audio cd into mp3.

If you are on a pc and use a program like "Nero" to burn an audio cd from the mp3 files then you can get the artist and title to show up on the Prius. On the Mac you would have to use a program like "Toast". You're cd burning software needs to have a feature called CD Text.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jul 4 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]281231[/snapback]</div>
    Just be aware your subjecting your 99c music to quality loss. 128Kbps AAC to PCM/wave is already somewhat different from the original source. Then if you convert to some MP3 with quality of maybe < 192Kbps, you will be listening to your iTunes music at effectively < than 128Kbps. Something like 96Kbps or 64Kbps, just so you can get artist/track display. Is that what you really wanted for 99c?

If you don't care about quality, sure.. but if you do, just buy the cd and rip it directly to mp3 at high quality without restrictions.

Of course bitchig to Apple about iTunes supporting cd-text is pointless because they don't care, and their iTunes feedback system doesn't let you complain about it directly.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 5 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]281321[/snapback]</div>
    Trust me, I know about the quality loss. Rarely purchase anything in the iTunes store because I prefer to do my own encoding directly to mp3... or in the best case, no encoding at all. Just a direct copy of the storebought cd and then it lives in the changer until I tire of it.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The RealPlayer will rip mp3s to cd with title/performer info that will show up on the Prius MFD. I know--I just ripped 24 disks...Admittedly, some of their info from the web is a bit peculiarly formatted, so there will be some tracks you want to edit the info on, but that, too, is very easy w/ RealPlayer.

7. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

How are you burning?

Uncompressed CD audio files do not contain metadata, and therefor cannot show song information. The CD you buy at the store does not contain the information. That's why iTunes has to look it up over the internet.

MP3 and MP4 files do contain metadata, and disks burned as MP3s should show up with song info no problem. If you're burning MP3 disks and not seeing song info, something is wrong. If you're burning uncompressed (AIFF) CDs, then all is working properly.

EDIT: and really, why not just nix the whole CD thing and get yourself an iPod?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jul 5 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]281381[/snapback]</div>

If you are concerned about quality, why not MP4?

8. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Jul 5 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]281390[/snapback]</div>
    I really didn't want to get too technical, I was just trying to help out the original poster. I can take a picture of my MFD with the title and artist of an audio cd displayed if you want proof. The display is different than if you put in a disk of mp3 files.

As you state,the uncompressed audio files do not contain the metadata, but when you burn using software that can embed CD Text, the CD's table of contents contain the data. When I want to create audio cd where the song titles shows up, I use the following steps on my pc.

I launch Nero Burning Rom and select the "Copy a CD option"
    Stick in my store bought cd
    Nero connects to the internet to get the song titles
    Nero puts the proper metadata into the CD's TOC
    Place the burned audio cd into my Prius and the Title and Artist show up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Jul 5 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]281390[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2nd gen iPod and don't like the user interface very much so I never use it.

I don't use MP4 because I have use my audio files in multiple devices in different situations and not all of them support MP4. Sort of like the old VHS vs BetaMax was. Mp3 is usually the lowers common denominator, but not necessarily the best.

I know my own music, so I personally don't have much use for the feature, but it was cool when a passeger asked me what was playing and I just pointed at the screen.

9. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found a way to add song title information to music CDs. This method results in a standard music CD that will play in any player and will also display song titles in the Prius player. It does not require buying any additional software, but the music quality will not be CD quality.

Of course, by the time you do all this, you might as well just burn the MP3s in MP3 format...you'll get a lot more tracks on a disc and the quality is the same. Once you rip it, you've gotten around the licensing (does that make it illegal ???). This procedure only makes sense if you also want to play the CD in a player other than the Prius that doesn't support MP3 format. It's also wasteful because it requires burning two discs (although you could use a re-writable for the intermediate step to save discs).

1. Start with a music CD that was burned from the purchased iTunes Music Store tracks in iTunes (this is needed because of the licensing).

2. Rip the CDs into MP3 format (Windows Media Player or iTunes or most anything else). Make sure the MP3 settings are the same or better than the original tracks.

3. Edit the Properties/Summary/Advanced dialog for the MP3 files you just ripped using Windows Explorer to add the song title in the appropriate field.

4. Burn the tracks again using Sonic RecordNow (which came with my computer). Although I haven't tried it yet, I'm guessing Windows Media Player would work the same because the info is in the MP3 file itself.

This is similar to the methods suggested by others. It's much more involved than it should be...I'm disappointed, but at least it's possible.

- Doug

10. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

DS:

You are correct. That is the right method.

You can see my experience at:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=276199

I use a Mac, but the issues are the same. Basically, iTunes will not use the CD-text option, which forces you into this work around. Like you, I have an iPOD, but do not always have it with me. Therefore, I wanted to make CDs. I really like the ability to make mp3 disks. They hold a lot more song tracks.

I cannot detect any sound degradation using this method, but then I am not an audiophile.

Rock on!