1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cd tracks not displayed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dominic, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, i'm not too familiar with that one since i just tried the cd player today, but i was wondering why it's not displaying any song names, album, artist, etc.

i could understand if it was a burned cd, then maybe i wouldn't have integrated the tracks text... but i thought that was all standard in any factory music CDs?

any thoughts?

2. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it depends on when the cd was made and if that info was burned into it from the publisher. i have CDs that don't have the text on it. Have you tried the disc on another player and gotten the text?

3. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

no i haven't since i don't HAVE any other players that could display. but i tried 4 different CDs and none had it... that's why i started to wonder...

4. priuscritter

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmm. i'll see i can try it out. i honestly haven't tried the cd player yet thanks to xm and my iphone. might check the owners manual and see if it mentions it.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Was the car moving when you tried it? Much of the display information is suppressed if the car is in motion.

Tom

6. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

whether the car was moving or not didn't change anything... i tried both

7. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    still no luck so far, unfortunately, all i can seem to find online is related to burned CDs. nothing on original CDs. Can anyone reproduce the probleme? or is it just me? i have over 250 CDs so i'll try a few more tonight, but so far, first 10 are all the same.

only info i get is: Track 1, Track 2, etc... kinda annoying if you're looking for a specific song... :-/

8. priuscritter

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i tried a cd today and it showed the text. i had to hit the text button though. it toggles between track number and title of song. i have the non-nav jbl system.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually make copies of my CD's anyway - this does two things:

* Keeps the original out of the car in case the CDs are stolen or damaged from heat
    * Allows me to download and burn CD-TEXT info for the tracks that were missing. Nero and other programs will do this for you.

However, because our cars now support MP3 CDs, I skip the CD Audio all together and rip my CDs to MP3 (or just buy the MP3 version from Amazon MP3 - shameless plug). 256kbit VBR is just fine for my ears, and you can get 40-50 songs per CD - more if you can tolerate lower bit-rates. Plus, if the songs are tagged correctly, the text shows up as well.

10. chuckc192000

chuckc192000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The original CD standard had no provision for including any information about the names of the songs, the artist name or the name of the album. The CD Text extension to the standard didn't come out until 1996 so CDs made before then will have no text. Even today CD Text is not universally used by all CD companies. Sony (who invented the CD Text extension) has it on most of their CDs.

11. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

thx for the info, i really appreciate.

update: after trying 15 or so CDs (all original) i managed to find 1 with track data. so now i am happy and i know it works fine, it's just a matter of whether or not the CD have text on it or not... i was under the impression that all factory music CDs had it... :(

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My experience is that only a small percentage of CDs contain the track info--even on new releases.

13. Sassan

Sassan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I listen to mostly library borrowed classical music, and it never shows track info. Sucks, but not much you can do about it.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's why there's [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB]CDDB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]. A bit more on products that use it or include, like iTunes at Gracenote: Powered by Gracenote.