1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CEL again after Fuel injector replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ShadowFlash, Jan 5, 2008.

1. ShadowFlash

ShadowFlash New Member

I had a little trouble with my 2004 with a little over50K miles on it the other day. I was heading up a hill and punched the gas. There was A shudder and a screech and something was obviously wrong. The CEL came on the next time I started it up.

I took it to the dealership and asked them to dump the codes. They found quite a few. Most were no big deal (Key out of range for more than 5 minutes, etc), but the big one was fuel injector #4 misfire. Based on this they replaced the fuel injector to the tune of $500.

Since the repair, there has been a fuel/exhaust smell in the cabin when the outside vent is on. I had it back at the dealership for a computer replacement under warranty and asked them to check filters. They said they couldn't find a problem.

Now, about two weeks later, I have the CEL again. The CEL went off briefly when I filled up. I was hoping it was just a lose fuel cap, but it has returned.

I have an appointment at the dealership coming up, but I wanted to pick the fine brains here to see if there are any ideas. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is one of the things I hate about computer codes, no one bothers with diagnostics any more they just swap out the part the computer tells them is faulty. The fault could be in the wiring loom to the injector from the ECU but I bet they never checked it.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to a different dealer.