1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cell phone power charger STUCK in in-dash AC plug!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scotteeboy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. scotteeboy

scotteeboy New Member

Has anyone had problems with things getting stuck in the AC plug? Both myself and a friend of mine who also just purchased an '05 Prius had our cell phone power adapters lodged in the front dash AC input. The plugs went in fine, but when we tried to pull them out, no luck. In fact, mine came completely out of the dash, and detached from the cables. Crazy! I haven't tried any other power adpaters, but I wanted to confirm that the Prius ac power supplies are of standard size.

Thanks!

Scott

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, Scott, The power plug for my Garmin GPS is a real struggle to pull out ... it seems that the diameter of that receptacle is a little on the small side. Mine is a DC plug-in not AC.

3. CoolWind

CoolWind New Member

So far, no problems here with my Nokia cell phone charger. I do notice that the plug fits very tightly, but so far, never stuck. However, I just upgraded to a Treo 650, so we'll see how that charger fits.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2 way splitter that sticks and is very hard to get in and out. The adapter for the Garmin iQue is tight as well. Generally I don't use the splitter I need power for my phone and use the inside arm rest one for my iPod. Good to go.

5. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same problem with my iQue 3600 power adapter plug. The first time I tried it, I thought I was going to pull out the receptacle as you apparently did. Now I really work carefully on getting it out without breaking anything. Poor design.

6. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Junior Member

[font=Comic Sans MS:0381b84bbc]I have the same problem with my charger. So I leave it in there and put the phone end of it in the cup holder. I'm afraid if I pull too hard, it may break. I don't know what I'll do if I get a new phone.

Mary Lou[/font:0381b84bbc]

7. robinredbreast

robinredbreast New Member

Rub a little electrical grease ( the stuff you use for boat trailer lights) in the 12volt socket. that might help.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I presume you mean the 12 v. DC plug (aka "cigarette lighter plug"). I had a 12-v. tire compressor (since returned because it took too long) and the one time I used it I had to use a pliers to get it out. I presume there's some kind of a snap to hold it in place, and I figured that was too strong.

9. scotteeboy

scotteeboy New Member

I visited my local dealer today and spoke with their techs as well as some people in the parts dept. The bottom line is that the 12 v. DC plug in the dash and center console are a bit on the small side, so be sure to test out whatever you are sticking in it because, well, things can get stuck! I have opted to use an power converter that plugs in no problem and will allow me to plug in my laptop, cell phone, or whatever using a normal power cable instead of these cigarette adapter things!

-Scott

10. fcrimifd

fcrimifd New Member

HOW ABOUT A LITTLE SPRAY OF WD-40?

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is also a product I buy at the lighting store to put on light bulbs to keep them from sticking. That may be an option. It provides lubrication, lasts a long time and is conductive. I use it on bulbs in locations where they are not used often so they remain in the socket for months to years before they need to be changed. I can not remember the name of the stuff but I can get it when I get home.

12. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Shop around for a thin cigarette adapter extension cable. Probably at RadioShack. If you cant find a extension, buy a cheap splitter.(not the ones enclosed in a box) It looks like a "Y".

13. 1PriusFan

1PriusFan New Member

A car charger for my Treo 650 phone is stuck in the passenger-side front charger outlet of my brand new 2008 Prius. It seems that the outlet's diameter is indeed designed much smaller than it should be for most standard phone chargers. Anybody else seen this happening?
    The owner from Thousand Oaks Toyota has promised to send over a technician from his team to look at issue tomorrow. We'll see...

14. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 3 2005, 04:29 PM) [snapback]61160[/snapback]</div>
    It's ok if its thermally conductive but if it's electrically conductive you'll risk blowing the fuse. One such product is Sure Connect Bulb Grease (can buy it at Lowe's and other hardware stores). You might find anti-seize compound, but make sure it's rated for electrical parts (some anti-seize is copper based and could short your socket). Or better yet you could go with a dielectric grease, since it's electrically non-conductive.

I'd go with SyZyGy's suggestion of getting an auxiliary extension or Y adapter cable then plug into that, since the grease options would be messy.

I think Costco has a multi-function inverter you can plug into the dc socket that gives you a low-power ac inverter (<100w), a couple USB connections (+5v for charging from a USB cable), and a pass-through 12 volt DC socket for other devices.

15. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1PriusFan @ Nov 18 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]541305[/snapback]</div>
    It is small... mine came out, too. In my case, it was a Garmin plug that got stuck. I switched over to a Magellan plug, and that one has no problem. After your tech fixes it up for you, be careful what you plug in there.

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Push back inward, rotate a bit, and try again? There are two
    largish notches in the outlet shell that a mis-manufactured plug
    might extend its side contacts too far into.
    It may also help to pull the center panel off [there's one little
    plastic fastener near the passenger's left leg, and then the whole
    thing pulls off; see the Chris Dragon pdf] and poke around at
    the connector from the back.
    _H*

17. 1PriusFan

1PriusFan New Member

Ok, so the prudent thing to do here is to avoid plugging in any car charging accessories that have four metallic spring connectors along their circumference. The Prius' AC charge receptacle apparently cannot handle four. If your charging cable has a connector with two metal spring locks on the side of its diameter, you're good to go. Otherwise, like PriuStorm said...

18. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    One of the first things I did when I first got my Prius was plug in my phone charger. When I tried to pull it out of the socket, it was stuck, but I pulled so hard that it pulled the outlet and panel out a bit and after I did get it out, the outlet has not worked since. I'm guessing that I pulled something important apart, but I really haven't needed it. I just use the one in the arm wrest.....

Next oil change I may ask the dealer to try and reconnect it for me..... B)

19. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 22 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]542696[/snapback]</div>
    Have you checked the fuse, I shorted my accessory socket out with a poor reconstruced plug (long story) this weekend and blew the fuse. Oh yeah, thanks to Toyota for using standard fuses that I can get from any parts shop (sarcasm if you haven't guessed)