1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cell phone text messages interrupt iPod streaming music

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Matt M., Dec 19, 2012.

1. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This isn't a huge deal, but I was just curious if anyone else has noticed it. (Probably not, since I suspect very few other people who own a 2012 Prius have a dumbphone like I do. ;-)

I have my Nokia dumbphone Bluetooth-linked to the car for the speakerphone function, and I have my iPod Touch Bluetooth-linked to the car as an audio player for music. Works great most of the time, but, when I'm listening to music on the iPod and I send or receive a text message on my phone, or sometimes even just when I delete a text message from my phone or plug/unplug the phone into the charger, the streaming music from the iPod will pause and I have to go to the audio screen and hit play to get it to start playing again. Seems very strange that text message or charging activity on the phone would interrupt music coming from the iPod. Is this some weird Bluetooth thing where one device can interfere with another?

2. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    possibly. In the bluetooth settings menu's there are 3 options for how to connect the phone. I think they are phone, audio device, and internet device. You can select all or none of them. Maybe audio device is selected so all the sounds from your phone like charge initiated etc, are being sent to the car.

3. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Huh, that's an interesting thought, thanks. But one thing I've been a little frustrated about... is there a way to control those settings? I've found that I can pair my iPod and my phone, but it will connect to either one as either a phone and/or a music player. It has even connected to my iPod as a phone before! Normally I get in the car with both my phone and iPod on me, and the car rememebers the last state and connects to the phone as a phone and my iPod as a music player, but a problem I've had is that if I don't have my iPod with me, the car automatically connects to my phone as a phone and a music player, and if the last thing I was doing was listening to music on my iPod (bluetooth audio), then when it connects to the phone as a music player it will automatically start playing random sound effects MP3 files I have on my phone. I wish I could set it to -only- connect to my iPod as a music player, and if the iPod isn't detected, don't connect to anything as a music player.

Anyway... yeah, it hadn't occurred to me that it could be the sounds generated by the phone during those actions that is causing the problem. But, I know at the time it happens the phone is connected to the car as a phone, and the iPod is connected as the music player. But still, maybe somehow the phone sounds are interfering.