1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center Arm Rest

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hycamguy07, May 26, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone else noticed the cloth seperating from the edges of the center console lid/arm rest? :huh:

Would this be concidered manufacturers defect?

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I had read previously of the poor "quality" of the center console arm rest. I think that is different than a defect. Anyway, some lady was advertising covers that she made herself and she would even stitch a name on it. I got one (actually, I got two somehow and the other is just sitting there.) Anyway, ity is a shiny, black material with a checked pattern. I would be happy to send it to you if you want to PM me w/ address.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Right where the console release button is located, the cloth came loose quite a while back. It never got any worse, so I just treat it nicely when I need to open the console, and if it comes off someday I'll look into a replacement.

The material is looking just a touch shabby where my right arm rubs against it, but until I've worn a hole in it, it'll do...

4. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

I had the same thing happen with mine. My car was still under warranty and I had the cloth replaced for free by the Toyota service center. Never had a problem with it since. And this was more than a year ago.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Lots of early '04s have had the cloth on the center console right by the latch lift up.

If you're under the 3/36 warrantee, they'll just order you a new lid, presumably with better glue. They did for me and it's been fine since.

If you're over 3/36 even with the Extended Warrantee, unfortunately it's considered 'trim' and not covered, so you may as well try to glue it back yourself unless you have money to burn for a new lid.

A further reminder to those with early '04s - The other trim issue that seems to occur regularly is the sagging headliner. It also is only covered under the 3/36 so if your '04 is approaching the end of the warrantee, make sure your headliner is in good shape. It seems to happen earlier on dark cars in hot climates of course.

6. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

The separated armrest fabric, as noted, is a well-documented problem. I could have gotten a new lid from my dealer, but opted to try Super Glue first. Three minutes, good as new.

Toyota should have stapled it as well as using glue, so it could resist the stress of being tugged back.