1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center Cap Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegison, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, it's clear I've gone senile when it comes to cars. I may have once taken apart and put together MG-TD's with little more than a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, and a couple of whitworth wrenches. And replaced the engine on my '61 chevy ...

But having just put an extra set of OEM 15" Toyota wheels with new snow tires on my car, I cannot for the life of me get the center caps to go on without damaging them and having them not be all the way on. I tried lining them up and hitting with hand ... result, one bent plastic hook. Tried another way, same result.

So, who can kindly tell me what the #^@@# I'm doing wrong and how to get them on in one piece.

Thanks!

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On my car, I am able to pull them out by just using my fingernails and they go back in easily. I would look at how the wire retainers are positioned in the slot and make sure they can retract all the way into the slot. Then when installing them, make sure the wire is in the slot all the way around before pushing them in.

3. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I looked at the back of the center caps on the oem wheels (2009 Touring), and they look different than the ones I bought to have a set for the snow tires wheels. I don't see, on back of the oem touring center caps, the protruding plastic hooks with a circular wire inside their slots. Instead, they look like press fit full plastic circular structure sized to slip inside the the hole in the rim.

My snow tires are on oem 15" wheels, not touring tires if that makes a difference.

Each time I've tried to press-fit the center caps with plastic hooks, they refuse to go in, and one of the hooks gets bent.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or whether I have the wrong caps?

Thanks.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm thinking that you have the wrong cap. I just pulled one of mine off and they match this description: