1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center monitor wiring variations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dion Kraft, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had taken apart my 2004 Prius dash to replace the multi-function display with another a while back ago because the original went blank. I put in a 2005 used item and plugged it in and it displayed and also the engine goes on and off when commanded by the engine button now. Well anyways..I got side tracked and a length of time went by and left it as is....came back to complete the dash install and when i did and started it...the center monitor (which worked before) is BLANK! The initial image of the Toyota co logo did come on a couple of time but now its blank. NOW....I was thinking that when i plugged in the monitor their were only ONE main plug in (white) and then the two lower plugin for ODO and select which means three wire looms to plug in. I do not have nav so this display is the 4 button cheapo model. I thought maybe i forgot to plug in another white plug in but I see none...I thought maybe when I dragged the dash in I could have knocked it away but I seems unlikely...I am thinking tha the display has croaked and needs to be repaired and I am over thinking this. WHAT do you think ? The plug in info says that my plug in is for the low rez resolution while the other is the high rez. I have no tech manuals on it. I guess I can yank out the dash again to be certain...I am getting pretty fast at this as i can remove the display in under 5 minutes and remove the upper dash in another 5 minutes...

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So you replaced a low/high res with a high/low res?

It's very important that an MFD be replaced with the exact same model number. The low res and high res models get incoming 12v power on different wires. I have a test bench setup with two different wire harnesses, one for low and one for high. Mixing them up (which I've done a couple times) results in smoke coming out of the MFD.

There may be some model numbers that are interchangeable, but peace of mind says use the exact same.

This can sometimes be worked around by moving the pins around in the plugs, but that's just setting it up for failure later on.

3. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yeah started up the wreck this morning and wala..the MFD actually stayed on.......THEN after a minute it blanked out I assume the MFD is defective and it is not some wire spool plugin I left out. Looks like I have to get the model number on it and I should be set.
    THANKS for responding by the way - I appreciate your consideration. THANK YOU!

#3 Dion Kraft, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  4. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just replaced my OLD MFD by buying same model version on eBAY for $200 and threw it in today. The MFD powers up and stays on and all screen work as they should. I guess that during the course of replacing the Multi-function dash led panel the MFD croaked as it did work before when I disassembled the dash twice before.