1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center speaker "buzz" only during talk radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by local_host, Mar 15, 2007.

1. local_host

local_host New Member

Ever since I got this car I've been dealing with an annoying screech or buzz coming from the center speaker, and it only happens when I'm listening to the news, talk radio, or in between songs when a radio DJ is talking. I've driven dozens of cars over the years as a result of traveling (and always having to pickup a rental car when I fly) and have never had this problem. But then again I don't think I've driven a car with a center speaker like this one. Has anyone else had this problem? Is my speaker defective or is this a problem with ALL of them? It sounds as if the speaker is vibrating against the metal grill and causing the shrieking noise.. Funny how a certain pitch will set it off non-stop!

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it where me I would take the car back to the dealer with the radio in news/talk & tell them you think theres something wrong with the speaker..

I mean if your paying 27k-36k for a car you want it right and in good working order...

3. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Mar 15 2007, 02:06 AM) [snapback]405958[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds like a definite defect - I have never had this problem. By the way, I have my Bass turned all the way up, and I have my Treble slightly turned up, with the Mid range slightly turned down (my way of trying to improve the tone of the JBL system.)

If you can't get satisfaction under the warranty, you might consider disconnecting the center speaker. It is discussed in this Forum extensively, with many people recommending disconnecting it, because it makes it sound cleaner / better separation. I have never tried it myself, but it is very easy to do.

4. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

Most "talk radio" is all static anyway......

I'll be nice here......

Defect for sure.

5. ozerdem

ozerdem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also listen to talk radio. I had an 2005 Prius without the center speaker, No problem.
    When I got the 2006 with that speaker I noticed some unusual noise from it, so I popped it out and wrapped all of the clipps with foam to keep it from vibrating. It helped a little, but I am still not happy with the sound from that speaker. I am considering disconecting it.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius Steve @ Mar 15 2007, 07:52 AM) [snapback]406068[/snapback]</div>
    Several have done that and found a definite improvement. I don't find it a big a problem as others, but I also have a dash cover which muffles the sound coming from that speaker.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of options for you I think:
    1)Dealer....it sounds like it should be covered and it makes sense to give them a shot at fixing it.

2)Disconnect. You'll notice improved seperation of the stereo sound so this is a pretty good option. However, you may still notice rattle from the center speaker area on rough roads and such if it's loose in the hole.

3)pad the edges....I used some weather stripping strategicly placed to make the speaker sit more securely and tightly in the hole and this also stopped the edges from rattling.

4) 2 & 3---ultimately that's what I did....started w/ the weather stripping, but after several testimonials of the improved sound separation by disconnecting I did that and tend to agree....now, no rattle and no sound!

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How big is this speaker? inches?

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 15 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]406103[/snapback]</div>
    About 6"

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was just curious of the size because one could replace the speaker with a sub woofer for mid bass...
    [​IMG]
    Note the above 6" subs.

11. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

I had center speaker buzz issue only during satellite radio talk. It was fixed via impedence match between sat unit and the radio unit per direction obtained from this website.

12. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

buzz using regular radio or sat radio?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(local_host @ Mar 15 2007, 05:06 AM) [snapback]405958[/snapback]</div>

13. local_host

local_host New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(johnjohn @ Mar 27 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]413264[/snapback]</div>

It's during radio, CD, MP3.. I don't have satellite (yet). I have to listen to alot of conference calls on my MP3 player too so I'm noticing the problem constantly.. I still haven't had the chance to call my dealer again to follow up- they were supposed to order a new speaker like over a month ago. Anyways now I assume it might not be the actual speaker and maybe it just needs a piece of rubber wedged in between the speaker and the grill. What a strange problem....Rather annoying when you spend $27,000 on a brand new car and have to drive around with a squealing speaker!

14. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Local_host, it is so easy to pop out the speaker and disconnect it to see if the speaker is defective. Using your strong fingernails or a dull table knife, putty knife, etc., lift up the center of the speaker closest to you. Don't lift the corners or you could bend the plastic. It's just a pop-fit with some plastic ribs on the speaker than slide in the edge of the dash. Once you get the edge up a half inch, gently pull it toward you; there are molded plastic hooks that grab the dash near the windshield. You can then lift the speaker out. A socket, with a little locking tab, holds the wires and slides off the blades on the speaker.

Test to see if this stops the buzzing. If it does, you can leave the wires disconnected and put the speaker back, with foam padding as Evan suggested. Or just leave the speaker out until the Dealer gets you a new one. It could be that there's nothing wrong with the speaker, per se, but there's just some plastic vibrating at a particular frequency.
    I don't quite understand. If you're using Bluetooth on a conference call, it uses the driver's lower door speaker only.

The center speaker only reproduces midrange sounds and muddies the sound-stage for music. Many people think the sound is better without it.

15. local_host

local_host New Member

Hey Bill, thanks for the instructions on popping out the center speaker myself. Sure is alot easier than taking it all the way to the dealer, sitting in the waiting area, and worrying about some mechanic manhandling stuff inside my brand new car. I suspect they would use a screwdriver to pop out the speaker causing indentions in the plastic/metal frame (I guess I only care about that kind of stuff because this is my 1st 'new' car!).

Well, so I basically used my fingernails to pop off the cover, pulled the speaker out, removed the electrical connector, and then used a phillips screwdriver to remove the two screws on either side. It was sort of difficult to see the actual speaker because it's covered by a black thin mesh which is glued on, IE unremovable! So I had to shine a light through it to see if the speaker was torn in any way. It didn't appear to be. Tried to figure out how I could get rid of the squealing noise while leaving the speaker intact and usable- couldn't seem to find an answer and was worried I would have to take the speaker out again and experiment so I just left it unplugged. So I guess I have one less speaker, kind of sucks since it's part of the JBL "nine speaker package".

NOW, believe it or not, I can notice another type of slight vibration noise (although very minor). Sounds like it's coming from the 2 tiny JBL speakers on the front sides next to the small windows. Weird! Maybe it was always there before and I just didn't notice it OR the fact that the center speaker is disconnected now and has boosted the wattage of the existing speakers causing the residual noise? Those tiny JBLs probably shouldn't be there anways. Just seems too small to mean anything. Man I probably should have gotton the package that didn't have the special JBL speakers OR do all Prius' have those tiny speakers near the front doors? Anyways this new noise is no where near as annoying as the squealing from the center speaker so I guess I will have to just live with it.

LOL can't believe I've got to deal with these kind of petty issues after spending $27 grand on this thing.. Now I just need to figure out how to pad those lame armrests;-)) I sure hope the next gen Prius doesn't have cheap 'flat' unpadded armrests!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 30 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]414771[/snapback]</div>
    Actually this is for recorded conference calls on MP3, I haven't used the Bluetooth feature yet, don't have a compatible phone.