1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Center Speaker Disconnect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pennyprius, Jan 10, 2006.

1. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

I finally got around to disconnecting my center speaker and I can't tell you how much of a difference this has made in my sound system. I had changed speakers hoping to correct the terrible sound my stereo had. If I would have listened to all the posters before spending $500+ on speakers I might have been able to live with the JBL's. I encourage anyone who is unhappy with the JBL system to first unplug the center speaker and give a listen.

It took me all of 2 minutes to disconnect the speaker. I used a metal paint scraper and lifted up the grill and unplugged the connector and popped the speaker back in. Again I did this in 2 minutes flat. Let me know what you think.

Steve

2. slortz

slortz New Member

Ditto with everything except I believe changing the speakers out also helped. Also, added an amp and subwoofer.
    Cheers!

3. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, i noticed last night that on music with a lot of trebel content, the center speaker was vibrating terribly. i thought you had to take apart the dash to disconnect the center speaker, so i was hesitating. i'll try your method.

4. rightonbro

rightonbro Junior Member

I just did this, except I still have the stock JBL speakers. There was an immediate improvement in both the stereo field and in clarity. The "muddiness" that I experienced before is reduced quite a bit, and the upper-mids and highs sound "sweeter."

I used a butter knife to pop off the grill. Like pennyprius said, it took two minutes, tops.

I was looking into getting some replacement speakers as well, but I think I'll be good with this for awhile.

Thanks!

5. jacaufie

jacaufie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Where is this speaker? I have a 2006 base model and don't see it.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not on the base models, only those with the 9-speaker JBL audio system.

7. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i still havent gotten around to doing this (hopefully this weekend) but man, that center speaker is BAD NEWS... bad vibrations/buzzing with even mild treble. covering it up with my hand i can already tell the difference. what were toyota thinking!?

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you disconnect your center speaker and still get a rattle, here's a tip: pop the speaker back out and carefully apply electrical tape to the edge of the hole where the speaker's hold-tabs grab. That little extra thickness of the tape will keep the rattles at bay.

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you are removing the center speaker, pry the edge facing the seats, not the sides facing the windows. There are "capture tabs" (for lack of a better word) on the edge facing the windshield, so you have to lift the seat side edge first and then the whole assembly (grille and speaker) will lift out. There is enough wire to lift the speaker out of the dash and allow you to disconnect the cable.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know where you'd get a decent 2-3/4" driver to put there anyway. Maybe take one out of a Lexus LS430 with the Mark Levinson audio system. Or take the midrange off of a 3-way coaxial car speaker. IMHO, it's not worth the effort (unless you're trying to create a home theater in your car with 5.1 sound and you gotta have that center speaker for dialogue - even then I'd say go with a phantom center).

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Just did this after two years of ownership and it makes a world of difference.

12. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I must be deaf, I disconnected it, but could not tell that much quality difference, so I put it back. Very easy to do, worth trying if you are not happy with the sound.

13. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well i finally did it today and i can tell that there's a big difference. as i mentioned before the center speaker was buzzing and rattling and i think it was making the music too "tinny". anyway thanks to rightonbro for the butter knife idea... worked like a charm.

14. odamone

odamone New Member

I highly reccomend trying this before you spend $$ replacing the speakers. It turns out the JBL system really can sound pretty nice...

Not that you can't improve upon it...but for a large majority, this simple and free step will improve the audio fidelity enough.

15. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

Does anyone know if the center speaker is necessary for the Nav/Phone Voice?

16. Subversive

Subversive New Member

I really haven't noticed any problem with my center speaker.

17. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 2 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]264532[/snapback]</div>
    No it's not. The NAV voice comes out from other speakers (front left I think).

The only thing I can think of is Toyota initially wanted to use this speaker for the NAV, but it didn't work out. I'm also not too sure about putting a different speaker up there. I don't know what kind of signal it's getting. I wanted to use that feed as a source for my sub and it didn't work.

Anyhow, mine's been disconnected for a year. I added a powered subwoofer and couldn't be happier with the sound.

18. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A different speaker in the center wouldn't do much good as the signal going to the center speaker is not a full range signal. Just leave it disconnected completely and you'll have better sound. More isn't always better:)

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Other members, with the proper measuring equipment, have noted that you will have a frequency hole when the center speaker is removed. Yet WITH the speaker in place, there an even larger uneven frequency curve - just in the other direction.

20. zonker

zonker New Member

This is absolutely true about the center speaker, but do yourself a favor and add a Kenwood KSC-SW1 subwoofer to the hidden compartment under the trunk. It is by far the best thing you can do to this system short of swapping it out with a different system. And I want to emphasize that this is not just for aficionados of bass -- in fact, the KSC-SW1 will not provide enough power for head-banging bass. It does, however, add all the bass that the JBL system lacks, opening up the rest of the system and making it sound leagues better. I hear it's equally effective in non JBLs, although I can't say from experience.