1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Central unlocking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by micaela, Jul 12, 2006.

1. micaela

micaela New Member

I'm just wondering if there are any autoelectricians here or anyone knowledgeable about electrical wirings. I got my Prius 2002 hooked up with a car alarm which is working fine, but I noticed that my central locking button on the door doesn't work for unlocking anymore. It still locks just doesn't unlock.
    The guy that installed the car alarm said it is unlikely that the car alarm has done anything to that.
    Can anyone enlighten me if the wires for the central unlocking could have been disconnected accidentally when he installed the car alarm on the central locking door?
    It doesn't make any sound when I push the unlock button like there is no mechanical sound movement, which makes me think he disconnected something by accident during the installation.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micaela @ Jul 12 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]285335[/snapback]</div>

Well, this could be a tough one. Any reputable shop is supposed to go through a check list to test all of the electronics BEFORE the do the installation, just to avoid these kinds of issues.

I have installed hundreds of car alarms, and yes, he very well could have caused this problem. Unfortunately, I do not know the exact wiring for the Prius, as my experience ended around 7 years ago. If the Prius only requires a momentary pulse of either - or + (normally ground in Japanese cars), then he would have tied into the central wire. One side of that wire leads to the door lock modules, which activate all of the doors, and the other side leads back to that switch. Sounds like the alarm is making good contact with the wire as it goes away from the switch, but somehow the switch side is not connected. If they used a relay, then they may have a bad relay...but most of the time Japanese cars do not require a relay.

Since the switch was working before, I suggest you take it back to them, so they can reconnect the unlock wire without the alarm wire connected to it. If it works again, then you know the problem.

Goodluck

Mike