1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Centrists Democrats beating left wing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by scargi01, Sep 25, 2007.

1. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Looks like the middle of the road Democrats are winning the game...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/opinion/...amp;oref=slogin

"Both liberals and Republicans have an interest in exaggerating the netroots’ influence, but in reality that influence is surprisingly marginal, even among candidates for whom you’d think it would be strong.

Several weeks ago, I asked John Edwards what the YearlyKos event was like. He couldn’t remember which event I was talking about, and looked over to an aide for help. "

Doesn't look good for the far left. The Dems may actually have a chance to win this time.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 25 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]517403[/snapback]</div>
    Good. Should be a lesson to the crackpots at the fringes of BOTH parties. Effective gov't is about COMPROMISE and WORKING TOGETHER to create effective policy. The only thing we have now is a bunch of whinging poms who have no idea what governance is all about.

3. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 27 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]518343[/snapback]</div>
    The Republican version of "crackpots at the fringe " pretty much describes the Bush Administration.
    I wish someone could teach them about "compromise and working together".

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 27 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]518361[/snapback]</div>
    The Bush administration is the single most compelling reason for a parliamentary form of government. In 2006 there would have been a no confidence vote, and curious george would have packed his bags and we would have been able to move forward. Unfortunately, that was not to be, and somewhere around another 1,400 service personnel will be KIA in Iraq as a result.

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well of course "centrist" democrats are doing better than the fringe, because the left wing fringe is absolutely nuts! It is however much louder than the right wing nuts, who make up a dramatically smaller percentage IMHO of the party than democrats are willing to admit.

A right wing nut is defined as anyone who doesn't see the logic and agree with whatever a democrat wants. Really, find me an example of a Conservative or Republican who was complimented by a democrat for an act that wasn't a sell out of Conservative Ideals. (To make it easier limit the search to fiscal conservancy, not moral conservancy)

As an aside on Conservative v. Liberal moral ideals both at their extremes are bad, especially if a religious text is the basis for either of them, as Conservatives tend to be more religious saying you shouldn't do something because God says so, not my cup of tea, but you know some of the things God supposedly said aren't that bad, like don't kill people or have sex with your married neighbor. And the liberal ideal is that one is to be free to do anything they want, with the supposed caveat as ling as it doesn't harm another. The problem is that many actions advocated by liberals do harm people, if not physically then emotionally, and when confronted with this the harmed person is usually accused of being a right wing nut job.

Example, lets start with the biggie Abortion, which I like because it generally means less democrats, but choice or not you're advocating the destruction of a human life, even potential, that is serious, and some think that killing potential people is bad, especially because they didn't do anything to deserve such a fate. The fact that abortions take place truly hurts people, but the liberal considers that hurt irrelevant because it would block what someone wants to do.

Personally, I think that you can't have state paid for abortions ever. Too much risk of something bad. Like, well, if inner city residents have the greatest need of state subsidized health care and the state says, "Hey we need abortion clinics in the inner cities because those people ("those") can't afford an abortion". What would happen? I mean if Republicans really wanted to have a complete victory over the democrats, they should advocate free abortions in all major cities!! Within 20 years the democrat voter roles drop and, boom, Republican controlled everything. So, be careful what you advocate. Wow way off topic.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Sep 25 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]517403[/snapback]</div>
    You're actually listening to McBobo?