1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Certified Pre Owned Worth It?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jaya Love, May 10, 2017.

1. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi! Is it worth it to pay more for a certified pre-owned?

Here's points to consider...

I usually take any used car I'm considering purchasing to a mechanic.
    I've never owned a hybrid before.

I am excited to try to get new car financing with a certified pre-owned.

I'm also a single mom on a limited budget, building credit before I buy in 8 or 10 months, and concerned about the extra cost.

Also, hoping that the 12k warranty and the extra powertrain warranty would be helpful down the road. I like that the inspectors are very familiar with the Prius, vs taking it to an independant mechanic (though one familiar with hybrids.)

I also have read about people being burned and getting factory certified priuses with major problems missed in the inspection. (though they seemed to usually if not always get the dealer to fix them.)

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PRIUSchat :)

How many miles per day/month would you be driving it? (12k can roll over pretty fast)

This sounds like it would be an older CPO hybrid that is no longer covered by the factory warranty?

Does this CPO include roadside assistance, and can you afford to be without a vehicle until it gets fixed?

3. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great questions!

I drive average 12-15k a year, I'd be looking at Priuses (did I spell plural of Prius right? ;) ) that range 2-4 years old, there could potentially still be some 36k factory warranty, but not much. (looking at cars around 15k-50k mileage). The Toyota CPO does include roadside assistance. From the website it seems it's for a year from purchase and it covers rental for that year too. I can't afford to be without a vehicle while it's in the shop typically, though could probably search around and borrow a car, especially with planning.

One option would be to not get the warranty and save money in a savings account for repairs. But I do like the idea of the extended warranty. (I'm wondering if Priuses are any more or less reliable than regular gas cars once they get older (up to 100k)

The basic new car Toyota Warranty covers 36k miles and the powertrain is 60k. The CPO warranty give you a 1 yr or 12k warranty (good for cars beyond 36k) and also extends the powertrain warranty out to 100k. They battery warranty stays the same, 8 years or 100k miles from date of first owner purchase. I can't link because I'm a newbie here but maybe I'll comment with the link to the warranty tomorrow. :)

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are we talking about a "factory" CPO program, or some fly-by-night third-party "coverage" that only serves to certify that the car has been pre-owned?
    You're not mentioning a price to go with the 15,000 - 50,000 mile range.
    Are you in a house or an apartment?

A couple of things.
    1. Building credit is different than building wealth. Building credit means that you're sharpening a tool that you can use to go more deeply in debt. If you're a single parent, then the most important thing right now is the kid(s) and building a plan for college and what lies beyond that.
    So.....I'd be careful about buying as much "car as you can afford" and concentrate instead on buying an affordable car which for you might not be a hybrid since it may be possible to get a dependable econobox without the hybrid components.
    OTOH, gas prices in Caly are high and you'll be covered by additional CARB warranties that (are supposed to be) will cover certain items over a much longer period than Toyota's OEM warranty.

2. A Prius is basically any other small front-wheel-drive car up to about 100,000 miles as far as maintenance and repair are concerned - BUT(!!!!) as is true with children, those first few years are critical. Newer, base models are preferred over older loaded out cars.
    Priuses will last "about" 10 years or about 225000 miles if they're well taken care of.
    Once you figure out a budget (NOT a monthly payment!) then arrange for your financing first, and then the car.
    If your credit score is low then you're still going to be MUCH better off getting a loan at a credit union rather than a dealer.
    Once you have a budgeted amount (in $$$) and a loan then let's figure out how much Prius (or other car) we can recommend for the money.

3. In general, and especially with Priuses under 100,000 miles, it's ALWAYS better to forgo additional warranties excepting for ONE case - and that's people (men and women) who do not know how to interpret the schedule of maintenance and navigate the rough seas of maintaining a car.
    Financial experts will say that AN OEM warranty or CPO coverage can be worth it for..........say, single parents who have low vehicle breakdown tolerances (job, daycare, school, etc)
    However (comma!!!!!)

4. If you're a single Mom, then you're genetically pre-wired to be a better car owner than dudes are, because you know what you don't know, and you're used to taking care of kids.
    You're (presumably) not a doctor, but you're not the least bit hesitant about acquiring data and making informed decisions about the kid(s), right???? It works basically the same with cars, only (and obviously) the stakes are lower.
    Once you decide on a potential car, get back with the forum and let us help you find out how to make the car last 250,000 miles so that you can be saving for things like retirement and college instead of being shackled to car payments for the rest of your life!!!

Cast a wide net.
    The internet is data RICH, but it can be fact POOR.

5. Some say Prii
    Me?
    I use "Priuses"
    To be fair, I'm biased against "Prii", but most people in this forum probably like that pluralization better.
    I want to live in a world where hybrids are "normal" and so I lean away from key words and tricky phrases.....

Your call.

Good Luck!

#4 ETC(SS), May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

The Prius is a great car. Toyotas generally are quite dependable. If the size is not an issue, you might want to consider a Corolla. Although not a hybrid, it is pretty economical and reliable.

Personally, I bought a Prius instead of another Corolla because I needed the additional space in the Prius for my dogs. My 2008 Corolla is still going strong though.

RCO likes this.
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally advise against financing any car purchase because cars are depreciating assets - they all lose money, so why pay more for one than you have to and risk losing it if you can't make payments?

The Prius is a good model overall and most model years have been very reliable. A certified pre-owned vehicle will meet certain requirements but will also cost more than a similar car that may meet the same requirements but is not certified. You will get the best deal by purchasing a car that is not certified but has been inspected and cleared by a Toyota dealer and which has verified records showing regular recommended maintenance performed over the life of the vehicle.

The extra warranty you would get with a certified pre-owned car essentially covers the powertrain for 1 year of driving. If you do your diligence when looking for a car, you're highly unlikely to need anything major done in a year anyway.

RCO likes this.
  7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Define major problems.
    Batteries, brakes, oil usage, electronics.

I'll add tire wear can be a major expense when on a budget for the CPO as 3/10 thread left vs 8/10 new calculate that cost.

12 volt batteries may only have last 3 years. Expect $200 replacement cost.

The hybrid battery just confirm your warranty coverage to 10 years and I think many engine smog related components go 8 years.

If the Prius was never crashed, one owner and a mechanic does a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) buying used can be a financial savings as depreciation in the first two years is the greatest value loss.

PPI can include, a leakdown engine test, brake pad measurement, and testing every function in the car. In my area labor rates are over $100 an hour and a good inspection can take 4 hours.

Prius can be very dependable as a car choice. With limited budget check your DMV, insurance, fuel cost (hybrid vs. regular) and value at trade in time to see if it pans out for you. Also some dealers, if always serviced at Toyota can access service history indicating the previous owners care.

CPO (cert pre owned) can be desirable, yet buyer beware as a dealer may process these cars as fast as possible. A leased CPO could not be desirable, yet maybe it can be. What is the premium for a CPO vs non-CPO. That one year warranty, if bumper to bumper, is again desirable for a used car. Get a copy of the CPO warranty contract to aid in your decision. So again buyer needs to do due diligence.

Good luck in your decision.

RCO likes this.
  8. Prime Example

Prime Example Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I know this is a forum dedicated to all things Prii; however, if it were me in your circumstance, I would not consider a CPO Prius with only a 12 month warranty. Look at Lexus 200h. For almost the same $, you can find a CPO Lexus 200h with the 6 year unlimited mileage CPO coverage. Best in the industry CPO warranty and a very reliable car. While I love my Prime, if I were to buy a CPO and hybrid was important and warranty was essential, Lexus 200h would be my choice. Just sayin'

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Lexus is another Toyota brand. The Lexus hybrid is basically the same as the Prius.

RCO likes this.
  10. Prime Example

Prime Example Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    By the way, I don't mean to imply that I would buy a new 200h instead of a new Prius. I would choose a Prius all day long. But if warranty combined with longevity was important in a pre owned vehicle, I would choose the Lexus for the strong CPO warranty.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or to widen the field, something like a Honda Fit? @The Electric Me went with that. It's one of those micro minivans, everything behind the front seats can convert to a flat floor, if I'm not mistaken.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hesitate to come into Prius Chat and "sell" my Honda Fit ownership experience. When I traded in my Prius, I said I wasn't leaving Prius Chat. I'd hang around. BUT....I am mindful that this IS Prius Chat, and I figure you most of you don't want to hear about my Honda Fit adventures.
    And I always kind of think, if someone is interested in a Prius, and going to the trouble of joining Prius Chat, then they are pretty sold on the idea of Prius and Hybrid ownership.

But I agree..if the OP is not 100% committed or tied to the idea of Hybrid Ownership then there are a lot of options that open up.
    Obviously even beyond Honda Fit.

RCO, Jaya Love and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yep! That's the other car I'm considering. I hadn't really been considering hybrids but when I went to he Toyota dealer after the Honda, they had some used Prii so I test drive one. I don't know. Something in me just was really excited when I got behind the wheel. :)

The Honda Fit is more affordable. I have been reading on forums that Hondas aren't as reliable as they used to be, but maybe that's just all new cars these days.

I'm used to buying older cars with cash but need something more reliable, nicer and longer lasting. My current Isuzu Oasis (same as Honda Oddssey is just about 20 years old and has a bunch of repairs coming up including anottherncheck engine light so I'd like to get rid of it before next smog in Sept 2018.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, since now you are asking...
    I owned a 2nd Gen Honda Fit...2010, and it was great, and I feel very well built. Reliable.
    Then I owned my Prius.
    In the meantime, Honda came out with the 3rd Generation Honda Fit, and the first year they were built in a new Mexico City plant. There were early complaints of quality and fit and finish issues.
    When I decided to buy a new Honda Fit...a big part was that the 2016 was once again assembled in Japan.
    No regional prejudice here. I think good vehicles can be assembled in Mexico, Canada, The US, or Japan. But it honestly appeared that Honda had some new plant start up issues.

Only time will really tell. But this Fit seems solid. Less than a year ownership, but I haven't had any problems.

If the comparison only comes down to reliability? I would feel good about the potential of either a Prius...the reputation is excellent. Or Honda Fit. If you were buying a used Fit? I might avoid the early 3rd Generation Fits that were initially assembled in the newly opened plant in Mexico. Just seems like Honda had some start up issues, that took some time to work out.

But it really comes down to what you want. It sounds like you are hooked on Prius.
    Well? I suspect I won't be able to talk you into the wonder of the magic of fold up seats.

And I would say...while I actually enjoy owning a sub-compact. For all it's wonderful configuration possibilities, The Honda Fit is a sub-compact. From a size standpoint it's much more comparable to a Prius c than a regular Prius.

Good Luck, I think you considering two great products, and neither would really be a mistake.

RCO and Jaya Love like this.
  15. Jaya Love

Jaya Love Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What about a Prius C? Same size as the Fit but hybrid and cheaper. Plus the back window has way more visibility.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius c is smaller than the Prius and designed for primarily city driving although highway will not hurt it.
    It could be a good choice.

RCO likes this.
  17. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would stick with the regular Prius, bigger and I think probably safer and the gas mileage is about the same.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Without going into the details of this thread, I am in the similar lines with bit flexible on the car's reliability. Bought a 28K miles 2013 Prius Plug in (Pearl white) for $14K (total $15.5K with DMV, tax etc) from Craigslist. I am happy. I just got it mechanic checked.
    My auto insurance covers road side assistance.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!

20. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you...
    I have opted prius between Lexus CT200H and PiP and for cost/benefit dollar value, I got PiP.

Alternative better option is CT200H

RCO likes this.