1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chafee Leaving His Party?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by livelychick, Nov 10, 2006.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I read last night that Lincoln Chafee, the very centrist Republican, is thinking about leaving the Republican Party.

While I'm glad the Senate will be capable of checking the administration, I must admit that his loss made me a little sad. At least he stood up against the status quo, even if I don't agree with all of his views.

So, do moderates who have left their party because of extremist views on either side need to get together and stop calling themselves "Independents" and start calling themselves the "Centrist Party?" What would be the implications?

Love to hear your thoughts...

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The presence of viable alternative parties is good for a country, because it broadens the public debate. The American system, however, makes it extremely difficult to form alternative parties because of the extremely high barriers to getting on the ballot.

As a progressive and a Green, I probably would not vote for a centrist candidate, but I would welcome the formation of a new party by people tired of the corruption of the old ones.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd be happy to join a Centrist Party if it were truly Centrist. It's so hard to tell when there is a hidden agenda.

BTW there are several parties that call themselves Centrist but none big enough to be a blip on the radar.

Centrist Party - Wikipedia

United States Centrist Party

19 states. I'll have to see if there is a Centrist Party in California. If there is, I'll register with them.

Well, I guess they are in California. They're centered in Big Bear Lake.

4. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 10 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]347008[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for this. I've been talking about this for a while and just hadn't read about someone taking a baby step towards it. I, too, would like to see what issues they wind up focusing on.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov, 01:09 PM) [snapback]347008[/snapback]</div>
    I hope they have wet suits. It's a cold lake. :D