1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Challenge: Guessing mileage based on oil color

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by AllenZ, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is the picture of dipstick from my 2004 Prius with 174K miles.
    Knowing the oil color is affected by thickness, I pull the stick out and immediately put it in level position.

The oil is synthetic 5W30, originally added 3.5 QT. When it dropped to lower 1/8 of the min position on stick, I added 1 QT of 0W20 to bring it up to 7/8 position. I repeated this three more times (total 4 QT added). The last one was done last night.

Based on the oil color and grades, could you tell how many miles driven since last oil change 4 month ago?

And how far it can go before the next change, considering the fact that every time I add 1 QT new oil, it will dilute the existing 2.5 QT dirty oil and effectively make it "cleaner".

Attached Files:

2. deltanh

deltanh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about the oil filter that is loaded with crud; and, don't forget all the contaminants still left behind. I always change my fluids per the manual unless I feel the operation has been severe. Just a thought.

3. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you saying that you have not changed the oil for so long that you have added four quarts ??? You are starting to scare me now. Why would you abuse your engine like that ???

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Based on the oil color and grades, could you tell how many miles driven since last oil change 4 month ago?"

Impossible, and why would you ask?

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yer driving 20,000 a year, 5,000 in four months, yer going thru a quart a month?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my dad put 300,000 on his '75 chevy wagon with out ever changing the oil. he just changed the filter every so often and added oil as needed. about a quart/1000 iirc.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seem to remember that you were burning about a quart every 2k miles, so I'll guess you're about 8k into a 10k oil change interval. I couldn't tell that from the oil though, it looks pristine.

BTW. My oil sometimes looks very clean like that when I pull the stick after it's been sitting for a long time (overnight for example). When I pull the stick hot however, especially after a good long drive that's had the oil fully up to temperature, then I can often notice a little bit more color to it.

8. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are right on. In almost 8K miles, my car burned 4 QT 0W20 oil.
    I don't know how dirty is "Dirty", that's why I posted this picture.

Since I added so much new oil, I think it does make some sense to recalculate the interval based on oil color. Many people change oil at 10K interval. Guess I just need to change filter that often?

9. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    8K in past 4 month actually.
    I think adding 0W20 into 5W30 made the oil thinner. After 4 QT, it should be closer to 0W20. The temperature dropped in recent month, hopefully it will burn less than 2K/QT when it is colder.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only car I've had that burned 1qt of oil every 2000 miles was my first car in high school. A 1974 Vega. With 174,000 miles on a 2004 car means it has been driven roughly 21,750 and 24,850 miles a year. Respectfully speaking, you might consider an overhaul or new car in a year or so if your yearly mileage continues. Your burning to much oil and cooler temperatures will not change that.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and I would suggest that you also drain and replace the synthetic oil at that time.

If the OP can add a quart of synthetic oil for $5 and do that 8 - 10 times per year, that seems much more reasonable and cost-effective than to spend $2K or more to have an engine from a lower-mileage salvage vehicle installed. The OP has not reported visible emissions being produced or any other indication that his driving the car is resulting in excessive air pollution or any other anti-social outcome.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd still do both the oil and filter at 10k. Also, I'd probably switch to a cheaper oil than M1 for a burner like that.

In another thread OP says his oil consumption on 5W30 is closer to 1 qt per 4000 miles. He's Prius is closing in on 200k miles, so you've got to expect some oil consumption. Personally if the car is still running ok and not blowing smoke or fouling the plugs then I'd just keep feeding it the oil.

13. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Late model cars have generally used so little oil that we have developed high expectations.

I wouldn't be real happy if my car burned a quart every 2,000 miles, but if you had new Toyota, Toyota would call that normal if you tried to get it fixed under warranty. A few decades ago, a car only burning a quart in 2,000 miles would have been considered good.

There is no valid reason to back off from using a decent synthetic oil. Synthetic provides better protection as well as longer oil life.

The oil should still be changed at the normal interval, contaminants that the filter doesn't catch are still building up and should be removed by changing the oil.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Synthetic oil and filter at regular intervals definitely, and more closely monitor consumption. Going 5w-30 to 0w-20 will not double the rate of oil burn by itself. I would never recommend using a low mileage engine as a swap. Rebuild or replace vehicle yes. AllenZ you have time. I only offered friendly advise that you start planning given this and the mileage.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't know a Vega could be that good!

Don't recall just how much oil gf's mom's car needed, but have vague memories of more than a quart per gas refill.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sold it before it got worse.

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he shouldn't use a good quality oil. I'm just saying that if the OP wants to save money by just continually topping off instead of changing then he'd be better of using a slightly cheaper alternative and still dumping it at regular intervals (to prevent acid and sludge build up as you alluded to previously). There are cheaper options than M1 (esp for a burner) that are still decent oils. Supertech Synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Mobil Super Synth ... for example.

I'd also consider giving a high mileage oil a run, say try Valvoline Maxlife for a few oil change intervals and see how it goes.

One last thing, I'd prefer to top off a before the oil is right down to the 1/8 above bottom line on the dipstick. Even if you're only adding 1/2 a quart at a time I'd prefer not to let it go much below about the half way point. There's not much oil in that little sump.

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We might be looking at different prices.
    Walmart.com - Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    LOL yeah, I keep forgetting how different the pricing is in the US compared with how much we get ripped of here in Oz. We pay about $90 for 5L of Mobil_1 here :mad:, though there are lots of cheaper alternatives around half that price that are still decent oils. So yeah, at the prices we pay here I wouldn't be feeding $20 per Litre oil to a burner.

20. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The difference between 4000 and 2000/QT I believe has something to do with the added oil is 0W-20, the original oil is 5W-30, although during the period between Sep. and Jan, temperature dropped a lot in Chicago area. Guess weather has less effect, since oil only leaks when oil temp is high. High speed driving should affect the amount of oil consumption.