1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change Coolant Overflow Reservoir?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius Student, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Prius Student

Prius Student Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if I would likely need a new coolant overflow reservoir? Here is what I observed so far:

- low coolant level, all checks done when cold - level is alightly below Low line in reservoir, topped up with Toyota pink coolant and also changed the pressurized reservoir cap, then the coolant level went back to previous Low level after around 2 weeks

- had local independent shop perform cooling system check - no external leaks found, used blue dye to check for head gasket leak, dye colour did not change (no head gasket leak suspected)

- independent shop is aware to look inside the cabin near the passenger side and also underneath the car for the heat exchanger issue, no suspected leaks anywhere

- had a look myself afterwards, saw some pink coolant residue on the edges of the plastic coolant reservoir tank (see photos) - should I replace the coolant reservoir tank?

Hopefully some Prius experts would be able to share some thoughts for this unexplained coolant loss. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Prius Student

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    It’s for a 2018 Prius Prime o_O

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clean this residue off with a sponge, and look for it to come back.

In general, our 2016 coolant likes to settle around the Low line no matter what. The problem as I see it is if the coolant continues to drop, so just keep an eye on it.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    4th gens have a problem with coolant leaks in the exhaust heat exchanger; something to check.

ah, see this:

the coolant leaks that occur in the exhaust heat exchanger result in coolant leaving via the tail pipe, as steam.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is that crusty red stuff around the the overflow tank in your pic at the same level as the coolant. after the coolant and leaked out?

6. Prius Student

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks everyone, I had the issue checked by a mechanic - found leak in the heat exchanger. I’ll consider the bypass option since there is a nationwide shortage of parts.

Mendel Leisk and vvillovv like this.