1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change my Antifreeze to Prestone All-Vehicle works on Hybrids.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Feb 28, 2024.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    anti 2.jpg anti 1.jpg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just check if it complies with this (from gen 2 Owner's Manual)?

upload_2024-2-28_7-24-5.png
    What colour is it, btw?

From my gen 3 perspective: in October of 2020 I bought Toyota Super Long Life coolant, 4 liter bottle (55/45 CDN dilution) for $22.95 CDN. Would the Prestone be cheaper? Better? If it's only advantage is price, a dollar or two?

#2 Mendel Leisk, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dad swore by prestone back in the 60’s.
    Is that DuPont?

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess it should work.

I'm generally leary of any "compatible with everything" type fluid.

For me the few bucks price difference for 3 gallons every 5 years or so isn't worth bothering with. I stick with Toyota SLLC.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    prices for coolant, WS-ATF, oil filter and wiper inserts are very close to Walmart in my area.. I don't even bother buying aftermarket products if it's $1-$5 difference.. Walmart has the pink colored coolant for Asian vehicles too, should get that and price is the same as the Preston. The Toyota branded one is concentrate so it's priced double or slightly lower because you get 2 gallons out of it.

6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I always use factory fluids including the Toyota SLLC. However, I may need to research the specs of the new Prestone. There are two reasons.
    • Newly released Prestone Coolant specs might be better than the decades old Toyota SLLC.
    • While I followed factory maintenance schedule using Toyota coolant for 18 years, I had very bad experience. 5 water pumps, 2 inverter pumps and 1 three-way valve in 190k miles.

7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    IMHO, I wouldn't mix them. If you flush out your entire system with distilled water x2 - That would be they only way I would use it. I've seen too many chemical reactions in automotive cooling systems, when people mix antifreeze. It usually turns into a brown sludgy mess and hopefully they don't overheat and/or break something.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota Super Long Life Coolant in the States is 50/50 mix with water. In Canada it's 55/45.
    A couple of possible issues with that:

1. If the final fill with a pre-mixed coolant (SLLC for example), it'll be a bear trying to somehow achieve a system that's 50/50, when you're starting with a system full of straight water.

2. Where does all those double flush go, down the street to a storm drain?

Appreciate you're only speculating, it's not your likely method. Sticking with the fluid that the car came with keeps it very simple.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  9. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    kind of odd that this forum doesn't show amazon links properly.. anyway the info about coolant being 50/50 in the US is not correct.. you can buy a gallon in Amazon for $30. Last time I bought in my local dealership it was $28. Same thing with BMW blue coolant, just drive to a local dealership and the difference is minimal.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I use Zerex Asian. It is likely that they or some other like high quality manufacturer makes SLL coolant for Toyota.

Zerex Asian.jpg

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota Super Long Life Coolant is 50/50 mix in the States. Perhaps you’re looking at something else, say Toyota Long Life Coolant? The names are sneaky.

You can embed Amazon links using the link function in the editor’s tool bar (see attached).

Attached Files:

12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I hardly ever use premix; I'm a concentrate guy - so I can get the mixture I need.

One time a customer brought their car in for a once-over, since they were going to south lake tahoe for a couple of weeks. It's a fairly long drive and he didn't want to get stranded in the snow. When I checked the coolant, it was around 30/70 - only 30 antifreeze. Told the customer that he'll probably be OK in Tahoe, since they rarely dip below 25 and stay there long enough to pop freeze plugs - but I would like to take the mixture to 50/50. The customer stated that another shop just flushed it out and changed the antifreeze. The repair order stated that the other shop used 50/50 - told the customer that at least they did flush out your system. They just didn't check their work and left a bunch of fresh water in the system that diluted the 50/50 mixture down to it's current state.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s too bad Toyota doesn’t offer their specified coolant without water premixed. If you can find it, Toyota Long Life coolant comes without water, is compatible (I think). Only issue, the recommended change interval for that is 1/2 of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant.

There’s a link in my signature regarding refill strategies, when system’s been flushed with water, the one about flushing stop leak products. On a phone turn it landscape to see signature.

OP’s long gone and we’re drifting?

14. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The majority of makers of coolant has switched to pre-diluted offerings, because many users would not dilute with distilled but tap water and may not do it in the correct ratio.

I previously quoted that I use Zerex, because they were the first to offer the Toyota SLL coolant equivalent. That gave me the idea that Toyota SLL coolant might likely be made by Zerex.

15. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Yep, profit margin is higher on prediluted vs concentrate.
    When the time comes to do mine, if Toyota still doesn't sell concentrate - I'll have to weigh the options of flushing out and switching brands or just going with 50/50 and not doing a "complete" drain and replacement. Which I consider kinda halfa**ing the job; but it's following OEM procedures.:sick:o_O