1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change of direction for my lighting mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 30, 2008.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't plan to drive with my Fog Lights on by themselves as Daylight Running Lights any more. I have ordered a Turn Signal DRL module and special long life bulbs.

My friend Bill gave me a logical explanation why driving with Fog Lights only is not legal in many states. Due to the smaller size of the Fog Light lenses, cross traffic may get the illusion that I am a greater distance away, which defeats my original intent of using DRL, to keep people from pulling out in front of me if they don't see me.

I am also converting my Fog Lights to Yellow with HIR bulbs which are 85 % brighter. With the yellow color, glare for other drivers will be controlled. Due to limited availability of yellow bulbs, I am tinting the Fog Light lenses with Duplicolor Metalcast Anodizing Surface System in Yellow.

[​IMG]

I recieved a lot of excellent advice from Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

One of the things that impresses me about Dan besides his obvious high level of knowlege on the subject is his willingness to recommend products sold by others when they will meet my need better than his products. This is why I will buy all I can direct from Dan, such as my DRL-1 module.

Dan recommended adding the tint in thin coats until it is about two shades darker than what looks right. Not knowing exactly what constititues s "shade" I plan to test these at night after six coats.

With three coats.

[​IMG]

After six coats, ready for night test.

[​IMG]

I'll post more pics after the HID lamps come in and I get these back on my Prius.

2. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wrote the federal rule on DRLs. The main reason that fog lamps are not allowed to be used is that the States wrote to NHTSA to not usurp their authority to regulate auxiliary lamps such as fog and driving lamps. NHTSA, not having the authority to usurp State laws unless there was a legitimate safety reason determined that it could not allow fog lamps as DRLs when writing its rule that only allowed DRLs. It the NHTSA were to mandate the use of DRLs, then it did have the authority to overrule States' laws where necessary for public safety.

Secondarily, the fog lamp beam pattern when aimed correctly per state laws, does not shine enough light into other drivers' eyes to make them conspicuous enough during the daytime.

As far as making them more effective as fog lamps, putting yellow paint on the lenses only reduces the volume of light emitted from the lamps. It acts as any other filter does with white light; it selectively filters out everything but yellow, so the lamp is actually much darker than it was originally. However, if you were to purchase a replacement bulb from Philiips, GE, Osram-Sylvania that were designed as an "all-weather" bulb, it would still have legally compliane output, regardless of the method to achieve the yellow color. (In essence, the filament, gas fill and glass envelope are designed in conjunction to make the filament run hotter, and emit more light flux such that when filtered by the yellow tinting, that it still puts out the correct amount of light, i.e. the same amount as the bulbs that are already in your Prius.

As far as yellow light being better for seeing, studies have shown that that is bogus. There are also studies that claim that blue light is better for seeing. All the claims really are about getting people to buy more expensive bulb more often. Why more often? Because in order to get the same amount of light out of the tinted bulbs, the manufactuers must run the filaments hotter and their life is much shorter than the OEM bulbs.

I agree that the Prius fog lamps are minimalist devices. Current ECE regulations and Society of Automotive Engineers standards (that States reference for regulating fog lamps) require very minimal performance, however they also allow very high performance, too. Unfortunately for most of us, OEM stylists don't like large lamps (too gaudy looking) and higher performance smaller fog lamps cost more (so the bean counters don't like them.) Additionally, with Prius that have HID, fog lamps in general are like having "t.... on a bull" interesting but useless. Also, even with the halogen headlamps, I bet you can hardly tell that the fog lamps are on. Thirdly, the best use of foglamps in when you can turn them on only with your front and real position lamps (parking and tail lamps). That way when you are actually driving in rain, snow, dust, smoke or fog (the only legal times that foglamps are allowed to be used under State laws) you can actually see under the interveining drops, flakes, particles, and etc.

One thing that you may be temped to do is to use a "high-wattage" bulb. While that might give more light output, it may not continue to achieve a fog lamp beam pattern. Also, because the Prius fog lamp housing is very small, it might not be able to withstand the increased heat load that the higher power bulbs achieve. Your lamps may slowly melt, deteriorate in other ways, or even worse, cause a fire in the wiring harness. relays or switches if they do not initially blow out the fuses. Besided, they use more power and decrease your mileage.

Why can't you turn on just the fog lamps with the position lamps? Because the lowest common demominator for state fog lamps use laws is the use of them with the headlamps on. Thus, many manufactuers build their vehicle such that the only way for you and me to use our fog lamps is the way that is legal in all states. Alternatively, some companies allow us to use them with the position lamps only or with headlamps and allow us to decide when to use them based on our state law. Thirdly, some manufacturers allow us to turn them on when ever we chose, hoping that you don't get a ticket for misuse and sue them for not wiring the vehicle in a way that helps you not violate state law. The reason for this hodge podge is that there is no federal law that dictates how, thoughout the U.S., fog lamps should be wired.

The consequence is that it is proven by observational studies that drivers misuse their fog lamps most of the time by having them on either always at night (regardless of the weather) or alway, period, because they can be turned on.

My learned suggestion to Prius owners who want much better fog lamps is to purchase true "projector" optics fog lamps from a legitimate company such as Hella (but not its "Optix" brand of lower performance devices.) Get the largest projector lamp that will fit in the opening of the bumper cover. A great place to see and purchase lamps is from: Susquehanna Motorsports Home Page (a.k.a. Susquehanna Motor Sports). Make sure that you purchase lamps that use the same or lower wattage light sources so as not to overload the wiring or reduce fuel consumption.

I like high performing headlamps, but I don't like glare either. Make sure that what ever you do, that your OEM headlamps and foglamps are aimed correctly. That way you will achiever the best perfomance from your lighting that it is intended to acheive.

1 person likes this.
  3. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still think the greatest weakness of the stock foglights is the reflector design or the beam pattern.
    Here is the Prius' fog light pattern:
    [​IMG]
    I would rather see a cleaner line straight across. Like this pattern:
    [​IMG]

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Rich, thanks for your excellent post. This is what I like: solid information from a reliable source.

As for your comment on yellow lamps, the French used to require yellow headlamps for all of their supposed benefits. Subsequently the French government realized that there are no benefits to yellow headlamps and now they use white.

Tom

5. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is exactly the issue. While they meet national and international requirements, they are not intended to be remarkably fine examples of fog lamp performance. As such, that is why, in part, I wrote the lengthy post.

6. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tom, I participated in the ECE regulatory amendments that changed that law. I was told that one of the underlying reasons for the change in the mid-1930's to selective yellow headlamps was to provide an indication of who was French and who was not French. That way you knew who's car to shoot given the impending invasion of non-French forces before and during WWII. And, oh by the way, we know that we can see better, lets just not tell them who we see better!

p.s. thanks for the compliment

7. Rich96c4ce

Rich96c4ce New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    BTW, the closest that you should view headlamp, foglamp, and driving lamps beam patterns is 18.3 meters and 25 meters is even better. Those are distances used for designing the optical (beam pattern and intensity) and aimability performance of such lamps. So that we can better compare photos, they should always be taken with the vehicle within those distances for the viewing screen or concrete wall in your case and mostly in mine, too. Concrete walls make great screens, often with nice horizontal mold markings on them that can be used for aiming purposes!

8. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you pull back some what does the beam pattern look like with the fog lights. I noticed when turning on the fog lights it doesn't provide a big difference in front and to the side of the car like they are suppose to. It seems the fog lights are just decorative. I could just change them out to something else I suppose and just use the wiring that is already there.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that's a big difference in light distribution. Now I understand your comment in the other thread about "throwing light all over the place"

10. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will concede that there is controversy as to is yellow light better or not in rain and fog, that some studies say it is not, and even that the NHSTA may embrace this position; however, there are many drivers who report a perception of seeing more detail with selective yellow.

This improvement in vision can be attributed to removing the shorter blue wavelengths that are difficult for the human visual system to process properly. As such, the blue light causes perceived dazzle effects in rain, fog and snow as well as problems with glare.

This effect can be seen by visiting a strip mall at night and comparing a sign with blue lighted lettering to one using red lettering. The blue will tend to look less crisp to most people.

I agree that filtering will reduce light output, but it is only removing the harmful blue light that produces glare. I will be using 85 percent brighter HIR bulbs that reflect heat internally to the filiment, rather that heating up the whole lamp housing. With these bulbs, I have confidence these fog lights will be legal and the selective yellow will control glare for oncoming drivers.

This is true of the blue bulbs marketed as ultra white or HID look alikes, but not true of selective yellow.

11. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My fog light beam patterns are very flat across the top form my OEM fog lamps. I will post better photos with a more appropriate screen once I get the HIR lamps.

[​IMG]

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying not all Prius foglamps are made alike??

Also regarding the yellow light, it's a lot easier on the eyes that's for sure. The driver can have the brightest HIDs (4,300 or 6,000K) behind a yellow tinted foglight cover and it won't be blinding to me.

It's a win-win situation. He gets the light/illumination he wants, I don't get blinded! (That and foglights usually aren't aimed up but they're in the line of sight when it comes to hills)

13. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, I just learned that I have to say something outside of the quote, or my message is too short to post.

14. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    NoMoShocks,

Do you have a link to the Dan Stern site for the DRL-1? I'd like to read up on it and I couldn't find it. Also, where are you getting the HIR bulbs? What price?

15. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply link was in the OP, but it gets lost in all my photos.

The HIR bulbs are Toshiba 9012s coming from Candlepower Inc. at $24 each, but I will need to modify one of the tabs on the 9012 bulbs to fit them into the housings designed for 9006. It is no big deal, just use a pair of diagonal cutters using the original 9006 as a comparison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Toshiba 9012 (HIR2) bulb can replace the 9006 and HB4 for special service use, and has 90% higher intensity.

9012[​IMG]$23.95[​IMG]

16. mypineprius

mypineprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the information. I ordered Yellow Xenon Fog Light Bulbs from Rally Lights (Susquehanna MotorSports). I believe fog lights s/b yellow.
    I had them on several vehicles over the years and think they cut glare better, and give the driver more light than the white lights do.

May I inquire as to where you purchased your led signal mirrors from?

Thanks, Rob