1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

change the values other than the speed indicator, to show km and not miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mike_10, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m the second owner of a 2008 Toyota Prius (Package II) with 23k miles.

I bought the car in the USA and might be shipping it to Europe in the coming years. I’ve seen the button on the dash that switches the speed indicator from MPH to Km/h. That’s nice.

My question is: can the dealer or I change the values other than the speed indicator, to show km (odo and trip meters) and km/liter (fuel consumption indicators)?

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You could replace the speedometer with a European one. When you purchase one new, the mileage is set initialized to whatever you order. Used ones are at whatever the donor car had.

There are all sorts of potential incompatibilities, but my guess is that there is a 95% chance of it all working. Note that there are minor differences between countries, so be sure to use a unit designed for your actual destination. I know the Irish and British units are different.

The local laws may also come into play. Since all you would be doing is converting your car to the local standard, it seems reasonable to me that it would be OK. You'll need to find a mechanic to do the work, and maybe a clerk at the car registration place to accept it.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Isn't it based on the Language set up, but I guess like the above poster stated there is a difference between English UK and Irish cars as the UK uses miles and UK mpg's but Ireland use litres/km.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could confirm but maybe this is a setting or something that a dealer has to change? Perhaps they have to set the car to think it's in Ireland, Australia or Canada so that you get the display in English but the car displays metric units.

4. freesky

freesky Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Canadian car displays metric but the speedometer can be changed to MPH. The odometer, trip odometer stays in kilometers and the fuel ecomony stays in litres per 100 kilometers.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then Mike would have been better buying a Canadian Prius as it would be ideal for shipping to Germany.

Wonder if it's too late for him to change now? :eek:

6. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    from the responses so far, I get a feeling it's not some magic button pressing that will change also the odo meter and consumption stats to km... Of course it's not terrible to be reading those numbers in the "miles" version, if I ever ship the car to the Netherlands.
    Still, I'm interested if others have ideas...
    Cheers,