1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change when will it come

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by oldasdust, Dec 1, 2011.

1. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had some time to kill a few days ago stopped at the local Chevrolet and Honda dealerships. Walking around their showrooms i looked at a couple cars and finally stopped and looked at a Volt and Honda's hybrid offerings. I was told at all 3 cars by a sales person oh you don't want one of those with a facial gesture like they were having stomach distress. This was followed by negative comments like you will never get your money back or break even, too new lots of techno issues. I thanked them for their assistance and left in my non hybrid vehicle, guess i should have drove my Prius to the dealerships. How are these vehicles going to sell and make it with this kind of salesmanship. When will it change and how if this continues, will these vehicles survive ? I want to see how the reps. act about these vehicles at the auto show( chicago) that will speak volumes if this anti hybrid continues ,stick a fork in the volt and Honda hybrids down the road, over 2 million Prius owners and Toyota knows better.

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you could have had an interesting conversation with the sales manager

3. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The sales manager probably would have had the same opinion,i hear from people i know in the dealerships and who have also gone into several ,they got similar results. These companies have to change the old ways and mindsets from top to bottom. Hell i never touched a computer till i was over 40 now i have a lap top,smart phone and drive a Prius, one out of 3 aint bad. The Prius treats me right.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I went to a local Chevy dealership to see, and eventually test-drive a Volt, everyone I spoke with (I gave three salesmen rides in my Tesla) was enthusiastic and upbeat about the Volt. They wanted my opinions of it, as an experienced EV driver, but they all were very positive about the Volt. I'm sure they would not have discouraged any interested customer from buying one.

It's possible that you encountered prejudiced salespeople, or that those dealerships didn't have an actual supply of the cars, and wanted to steer you to a model they had an excess of. In my experience (and that of many others here on Prius Chat) sales people are the LEAST-well informed people concerning the cars they sell. A successful sales person needs to have people skills, but very rarely is asked for information about a car beyond acceleration, gas mileage, features related to comfort, and price/financing.

5. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    daniel I'm glad someone out their gets it but you drove up in a Tesla Lol. I was in a very blue collar area maybe that had something to do with it or because of my age ,they guessed i was a techno hater, or could not afford a hybrid. Never judge a book by its cover i just look old school ok oldasdust.

6. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that there might be something else at play - the truth.

Starting out with the Volt you definitely have a car that is too expensive and has quite a few limitations such as seating for only 4 instead of 5. In the news you have reports of battery fires and this really is a cutting edge product so the reliability over the long term is defiantly a question. When you compare it to the Cruze Eco at about $20k the Volt is not that logical a choice based on the finances - the "green" halo costs something like $15k.

On to the Honda's - the Civic is a great car in general, but the hybrid version does not seem to compelling to me compared to the other versions of the car. The Insight seems like a dog of a car. I just parked next to a CR-Z earlier today and thought what a nice looking little car it was. I thought that Honda really missed the mark on it though - they should have thrown in a gas engine and they would have had a car with pep that was fun to drive at a better MSRP and similar MPG's - it is a car that really should not be a hybrid.

I think that there is a reason why the Prius makes up the lion's share of the hybrid market - it is the only one on the market that makes a whole lot of sense. Even the other Toyota/Lexus hybrids suffer from being a tough sell - there are just too many compromises such as the woeful trunk in the old Camry hybrid. All that being said, the reviews of the new Camry hybrid have been terrific - perhaps this will be the next hybrid to be more than a niche model.

7. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The novel "Wheels" by Arthur Hailey came out in 1971. One of the main plot themes was the infection of the US market by these really crappy cars being made by Japan. Not to worry, In the novel the superiority of the American cars would win out and the fad would fade.

Truth today is not truth tomorrow.

8. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks now like the boys at Chevrolet that steered me away from the Volt might have known something ????

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It might be that salespeople won't make as much for selling x type of car, which might be a hybrid.

It's amazing that Prius sells as well as it does even though they cost more for their size. As much as I like the Prius v for example, it costs about $4,500 more than a Camry LE. Even bigger difference over a Nissan Altima.

Prius fans are quite different than the average driver who just wants a set of wheels. They don't care too much about high mpgs, they care about low cost. But, things will get better for hybrids in the future. They will find a way to keep hybrids costs in check and as gas goes up, more will get higher mileage vehicles.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At the current stage of development—of both the hybrid drivetrain and the public's understanding of it—the Prius offerings make the best use of it, and make the most sense to the public.

The Volt's styling doesn't convey what it is. It's too bland and derivative, and the packaging isn't good.

The Prius says efficiency and versatility. Everywhere you look, inside or outside, its message is consistent. The Volt, not so much.

It's also obvious, in so many ways, that Toyota believes in it. Consumers can tell the difference, even if they're not directly aware of it themselves.

1 person likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    part of the magic of the prius is, there's nothing to compare it to. it's bigger than a corolla, smaller than a camry, yaris? scion?

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it defines its own niche, and it's not just because of the HSD. It's the complete package.

13. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe they just knew which held the greater profit margin for the dealership, which had the higher commission for the salesperson or which their manager told them to sell so they could get it out of inventory? :noidea:

14. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    While the prejudiced American press and the big US car companies are first to ignore the Prii sales almost altogether (so far), they are not likely to ignore them in later 2012 when all 4 Prii models are rolling off the sales floors and dominating the market in ever greater numbers.

In mid 2009 when I was shopping for my GenIII, the first salesman at one of the better Toyota dealers (and the dealership I eventually bought at) wanted to show me several other models, but certainly not the Prius I was there to test drive. There might have been spiffs on those other models, and I saw through that, but insisted on the Prius because I knew what I wanted, read these forums, and had done my home work.

The second salesperson, and the one who eventually sold me the car, confessed to me that almost no one there had ever really been designated the expert for that model. This salesperson had never sold one himself, just having been moved form the sister BMW dealer next door. Turns out he was just as curious about the Prius as many customers were. Se we talked about the tech and the differences between the GenII and whatnot for about an hour.

While we were talking, their one black GenIII floor model was leaving with another prospective customer test driving. We talked more and waited our own turn.

Turns out, the guy was hesitant to talk to customers about the Prius because he didn't know all that much about it. After the test drive, any concern of his were completely unfounded. I bought from that salesman just because he didn't have any preconceived biases against the car, as most others did at that place, or other dealers.

Their service department had no biases, as they had been servicing the model for the previous decade though the three generations. Salespeople are not first to tell you they are ignorant about certain vehicles when their egos get in the way. It was a remarkable and unexpected confession I will probably never encounter again.

I have not yet seen a Volt, and don't need to. I feel that model will be just another small footnote in GM's history.

1 person likes this.
  15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I bought my 2004 Prius (test-drove it and ordered it in November of 2003, took delivery in January of 2004) the salesman knew virtually nothing about the car, but was very enthusiastic about it. When I seemed unsure after the test drive and asked about cold-weather starting and cabin heat (I'm not sure Prius Chat even existed in November of '03, and I didn't find the site until a month after I'd bought the car) he offered and encouraged me to take the car from their closing time on Saturday until Monday morning, giving me all day Sunday with the car. There was never any attempt to steer me toward a different car. However, by mid-year of 2004, when the waiting list had stretched out to well over half a year, I think maybe a year at that dealership, they were discouraging people from ordering it, just because of the long wait.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought my wife's engagement ring in a similar fashion. I don't make large, uneducated purchases so I spent months learning about diamonds. When I went to purchase, I would visit stores and listen to the way they would try to sell me on their product. When I went to a family-owned store, I met a woman who, after a few minutes, confessed that she was new, didn't know everything and was still learning. She pulled out charts and illustrations and began educating me (and herself) about what makes a good diamond. No other place seemed to even consider the idea of teaching me even a little; they just wanted to sell me something. After some time researching the reputation of the store, I bought the ring and praised the sales person to the manager. We don't buy much jewelry but we always go back to that store even after the woman left.

Sometimes it all comes down to the person you happen to be talking to at the time.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does. Very rarely has a salesperson talked me into buying something I wasn't already there to purchase. More frequently, a salesperson has convinced me NOT to buy something from them, mostly through their attitude. I have far more respect for the person who says 'I don't know' than the person who just makes stuff up or tells me lies. Mind you, I've usually done enough research that there's a good chance I know more about the particular product than the salesperson. So, I already know the answers to my questions.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never understood the appeal of diamonds. Apparently, their use as engagement gifts was invented and promoted by the South African diamond conglomerate De Beers. I've always thought that emeralds are much nicer stones. If I ever met someone willing to marry me (about as likely as winning a hundred-million-dollar lottery without buying a ticket) I'd want to give her an emerald instead of a diamond.

What kind of sheep does a person have to be to want exactly the same kind of stone that everybody else has???

1 person likes this.
  19. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has gold surpassed diamonds in gram for gram value yet? It's hard to get an apples to apples comparative measure because cut diamonds derive some (most?) of their value from the labor that went into cutting them into shape, but it seems to me that diamonds have always been regarded as "more" valuable than gold. But it shouldn't be that way - we can make diamonds in any quantity we want, we cannot make gold (at least, not yet).

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We can make industrial diamonds. I don't think we can make gem-quality diamonds yet.