1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

change WS fluid = increased mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michael.ormsby, Jul 18, 2012.

1. michael.ormsby

michael.ormsby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2nd generation Prius w/ 65,000 miles which I bought used last winter. It was getting around 53 mpg in mixed freeway and around-town driving, which I thought was pretty good. Recently I took it to the dealer for routine maintenance. I had them do 4 things: replace transaxle WS fluid, inverter and ICE coolant replacement, and brake fluid replacement.

After this change I notice I get significantly better gas milage, now about 57 + mpg. As far as I can see everything else has stayed the same, same driving habits, same tire pressure, etc. Now I'm not complaining, but I'm just surprised that (presumably) a WS fluid change would result in an extra 4 mpg. Is there something here that I don't understand?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If anything, a transaxle ATF fluid change should normally result in slightly worsened mpg (or no discernable change) since used fluid has lower viscosity than new.

I replaced the transaxle ATF fluid on my HiHy after 30K miles and found a slight improvement in mpg, but I attribute this to the transaxle being overfilled with fluid at the factory. Perhaps your car had a similar issue.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No change when I replaced the ATF but noticed instant mileage increase when I changed the Inverter Coolant.

4. michael.ormsby

michael.ormsby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I agree w/ Patrick that it's unlikely that the transaxle fluid change affected the mpg. My best guess is that something incidental to the dealer work resulted in better gas mileage. Maybe they disconnected/reconnected the high voltage cables as a safety measure which resulted in a tighter electrical connection? I can say, judging by the amount of dust on the engine, that other than for oil changes nobody had touched anything under the hood since the car was new.