1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Change your transmission fluid!

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by PriusCee, Feb 24, 2024.

1. PriusCee

PriusCee New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I inherited a 2015 Prius C with about 150K miles on it. My girlfriend had regular service done on it at the dealership on schedule. However, transmission fluid isn't on the schedule so that was never replaced.

I just replaced my transmission fluid at 167K miles and it looked pretty dirty.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I change ALL fluids every 100K miles, don't care if it isn't scheduled for change or not. I chalk it up to cheap insurance to prevent major breakdowns.

FWIW, that ATF turned deep purple around 20K-30K miles in my experience. I did another ATF change 65K miles later - the ATF looked like it was brand new, only slight discoloration. I would be very comfortable with 100K mile changes after the early initial 20K mile ATF change.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was my experience as well, with a 3rd gen hatchback. Maybe just change around the one year mark, then leave it for a much longer stretch.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just changed the trans fluid for the second time at 31k miles. It was already dark at 10 years old after the first change in 2014 at 13k miles.

When I changed the fluid the first time, I replaced the 10mm hex socket drain plugs with aluminum magnetic M18x1.5 oil drain plugs with 19mm hex heads. I did this to prevent any issues on their removal from corrosion from any future removal.

With the Gen 3, Toyota eliminated the magnet that came on the Gen 2 Prius.

With the last fluid change, the magnets on both the fill and drain plugs were covered with iron particles.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    WoW, that's really low mileage for 10 years. I put the 65K mile on that Prius C in 2.5-3 years, again the ATF was pristine and it was a 2012.

So I'm guessing driving style plays a major role and your results may vary. I know by my driving style, my ATF stayed clean - even with high mileage and forcing the transmission to work harder going up and down the mountains in my area. That's why I'm so keen on making sure my ATF doesn't break-down.

6. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    It does not really makes a difference, so far, Priuses barely get the transaxle fluid change, and they still make it to 200,000 miles and beyond, with no issues.

7. 2017Prius

2017Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm researching the Prius c because I may be buying one in a few days. According to you guys the ATF should be changed at 65k? Or at 20k then 65k miles later?

I'm looking at a 2014 Prius c Four w/ 58k miles. Super nice condition. Paint finish looks new. It's had just owner who kept it very clean inside & out. Regular 5k mile maintenance w/records. No accidents. Steering is still super tight & responsive.

I test drove it for about 40 minutes. 20 mins on the interstate got 48 mpg. 20 mins on city streets & county roads got 54 mpg. I know it's 10 yrs old but it seriously looks excellent, drives great & was driven <6k mi per year.

Ya think it would be a reliable daily for a few years? I had a 2012 Prius Plug-in from 175k til 306k & a 2017 Three Touring from 48k til 130k when it was totaled. Nothing but regular maintenance, brakes, tires & one wheel bearing on the combined 213k miles so I'm sold on the Prius’ reliability. All the car review sites give the Prius c nearly as good reliability scores,

What do ya guys think?

Thanks!

8. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Does it still has the original hybrid battery or it was replaced already? same thing about the brake booster assembly and brake pump assembly.

9. 2017Prius

2017Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    should all of these have been replaced by 58k miles?

10. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Well the hybrid battery health depends on how old it is, miles do not affect it at all but given the miles that car has it seems that it was not used much which is bad for the hybrid battery. The brake booster fails because there was a design defect, over time a piece / place that holds the brake fluid pressure [i do not know what piece / place on the brake booster or where it is located inside the brake booster is, i have never opened it yet] breaks , and that cause the brake booster to not be able to hold pressure, which makes the pump to run constantly, until it burns out.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Probably.

The c is even better than the other models for overall reliability. The only bad thing is that the hybrid battery is made to work a little harder, so it doesn't last as long as in the big-body Prius.

Transmission fluid changes aren't required at all- but they're not a bad idea.

12. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good job! Some only go by miles but I go by both since my wifes' Prius doesn't even get 4,000 miles in a year:

Oil/Filter Every 6-months or 5,000 miles
    Air Filter As Needed (check every 6-months, usually replaced after a year)
    Cabin Air Every 12-months (Charcoal activated kind)
    Radiator Coolant Every 5-years or 50,000 miles
    Hybrid Coolant Every 5-years or 50,000 miles
    CVT/AT Tranny Every 5-years or 60,000 miles
    Power Steering Fluid Every 4-years/50,000 miles (Not Hybrids)
    Front/Rear DIffs Every 3-years
    Transfer Case Every 3-years
    Lube the Zircs Every 12-months (my Tundra 4x4)
    Spark Plugs/PCV and PCV Valve Hose/ Radiator Cap / Gas cap Every 10-years/100,000 Miles
    Brake Fluid Flushed Every 4-years/50,000 miles
    Throttle Body Cleaned Every 25,000 Miles
    MAF Sensor Cleaned Every 25,000 Miles
    Tire Rotation Every 5,000 Miles

13. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The hybrid batter on the Prius C, has you said, works harder, and also has worse cooling than in the bigger Prius. Even with A/C on, here where i live, Puerto Rico, on the average day if i do not turn on the hybrid battery cooling fan using hybrid assistant or Dr. Prius app, the hybrid battery gets to 37° C, near 40° C or sometimes 40° C+ unless you use the app as i said with the A/C on. If you do not use the app and only turn on the A/C on low, the hybrid battery cooling fan will turn on but to stay quiet it is going to stay at low speeds, which then it will not blow enough wair to cool down the battery.