1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed 12V Battery - Now Key Fobs Barely Work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SSCH, Jun 15, 2016.

1. SSCH

SSCH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At the end of last week, my husband got out of work and the 2011 Prius wouldn't start. He got it jumped and went directly to the dealer and got the 12v battery replaced.

Prior to that both key fobs had worked without any issues. Now you have to be almost physically touching the car in order for either key fob to work. Previously, we could have been several parking spots away and were able to unlock or lock the car.

The first thing we thought of was low key fob batteries, but I thought that was strange. There is no low battery warning light coming on the dash display like has happened previously. Plus my key fab is used much less than his key fob and for both to be giving trouble at the same time is strange to me. I'm ordering the batteries today but is there anything that the dealer could have done when replacing the 12v battery that could be causing the issue?

Thank you,
    Anna

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There should not be a connection between the 12V battery and the key fobs, assuming the new 12V battery is properly charged. Of all the 12V battery replacements reported on here I have never heard of an issue with the key fobs.

Having said that though, if after replacing key fob batteries you still have issues I would definitely take it to dealer and explain your issue.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also can not easily think of a direct connection to how changing a 12 volt battery and Key Fob failure would manifest.
    But I would say this, and I may be wrong, others can chime in and correct me.

But I was told it was "wise" to replace both fob batteries at the same time even if one isn't being used. The presented logic being that the Prius "smart key" system operates by the fobs more or less giving off a constant signal. That's how the vehicle "knows" you have approached even with you not pressing anything.

Battery cost in this case is minimal, so recently I replaced both at the same time.
    There are numerous youtube videos that show how to open the fob and replace the battery. Relatively painless procedure.

It certainly is odd that you would manifest this symptom after a 12 volt battery replacement.
    Good Luck, and out of curiosity, let us know how this story unfolds.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If anything could have gone wrong.....it would be when the car was jump started. There is no relation to changing the 12v and the keyfob not responding

5. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a new smartphone recently with a rubber case. I tend to put my keyfob in my pocket along with the new phone.

I started to notice many keyfob not detected errors. Other times, it couldn't sense the keyfob at all. This was caused by my new cellphone. it was covering my keyfob. Removing the cellphone solved everything.

You may want to check if there is anything in between your fob and the sensor (like my cellphone). There is a different sensor inside the car and outside by the door handle. I would examine to see if there is a diffference in sensitivity between the two sensors. There is also the possibility that your fob batteries are getting low.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the battery connections are tight and clean at all 3 points. but i would say if you went to the dealer to have the battery replaced, they should look at this problem gratis.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. Could be the new battery is a lemon too. Do you have a digital voltmeter, try reading it's at rest voltage?

Not sure of the ramifications for the fob reception, but does seem fishy.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    New cellphone or radio tower in the area where you park your car?

The 12V battery should have no effect on FOB range.

9. SSCH

SSCH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased new batteries for both key fobs and the new batteries were checked on a meter. There is no real difference for the key fobs are working. The cell phone isn't an issue for me because my cell can be in the house and I have to be virtually touching the car for it to lock/unlock when pressing the button. I've had the key on the passenger seat and the dash give the error message that the key isn't detected. I don't know if one of the utility companies changed something on a tower in my area. But I would think that in a parking lot elsewhere, the car would return to "normal". As for the cell phone, I've had my same cell phone for 3 1/2 years without a case and I haven't put any apps on my phone.

I guess that it is just coincidental that the issue arose at the same time the 12 volt battery change. What should I research in trying to figure out if the sensor that receives the fob signal is going bad?

Thank you,
    Anna

10. Kaytek

Kaytek New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A year ago I had the low key fob alert. Went and had a new one put in and two months later the 12v. died. Had it towed to dealer and a new one installed. 6 months later low fob battery alert, I get a new battery, still alerts, changed fobs with hubby, still alerts, got new battery for that fob, still alerts. Went to dealer for service (tire rotation/oil change) and mentioned the problem. They put my fob on a meter and it read "strong signal". I said I am worried about being stranded again, they said it is not related to the 12v. Now car would not open (had to use key) and had to place fob on button to start. While driving it said "No key detected". What could it be?