1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

changed my oil for the first time last weekend...is there no oil light?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by pjam, Feb 25, 2011.

1. pjam

pjam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Changed my oil for the first time last weekend (i've always changed a new car's oil after 1000 miles).

After changing the oil I like to watch the low oil warning light on the dash at the next startup to see how long it stays on. Usually, the amount of time the light stays on can be shortened by pre-filling the oil filter with oil so the oil pump doesn't have to fill it prior to building pressure to supply the motor with oil.

however, with the prius, i'm unable to locate any indication of low oil. am i missing something? i looked in the owners manual, nothing that i saw. it would seem like a big oversight to not notify the driver of low oil pressure / level. it would be a big oversight if i just missed it in the manual and on my dashboard as well ;)

pj

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius establishes oil-pressure prior to starting the engine, an advantage of having an electric motor and battery dramatically more powerful than with a traditional starter.

So, you won't ever see that.

3. pjam

pjam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that! that's the kinda info i'm lacking about this car! where can i find a good description of the mechanical / electrical / drivetrain components, etc. that are unique to the prius? i guess a lot of it will come once i get through all 600+ pages of the owners manual :)

thanks

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to John's website (link in his signature), it is full of that kind of information!