1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changed tail light bulbs, now tail lights and license plate lights do not come on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patricia Reyes, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Patricia Reyes

Patricia Reyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the back up, tail light and license plate lights in my 2004 prius, but when i turned power back on, the tail lights and license plate lights do not come on at all, switched through old and new bulbs to test it out, still nothing. I changed the tail lights to new 2825's and license plate lights to 168s. Previous owner had LEDs in for tail lights and license plate lights. Checked the tail light fuse, looks fine. Wiring harnesses for both tail lights feel tight. I don't know what else to do, someone please help :(! It should have been so much easier!!

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    should have a common ground wire for the two systems as the power would be coming from two switches..
    does the third brake light work?
    if so then the ground should be fine.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never heard this before. Did the previous owner chop into the wiring and install a new circuit to support the led's or are they self contained?

Going to need someone who knows how to use a voltmeter/ohmmeter to check if you have +12 volts to the lamps. Neighbor or friend?

12 volts comes from 10A TAIL fuse. That fuse is probably blown even though it may look good. Need to check with ohmmeter or replace. But no reason for that fuse to blow unless something bad happened.That powers both tail-both license-and both side marker. This 12 volt from the fuse hits junction connector J31 that's on the drivers side in the luggage compartment. 1 brown wire in (12v) and 3 brown wires out that's the 12v to all the 6 lamps.

The tail light ground connection is a bolt right under the hatch lock in the luggage compartment. The license plate ground is in the hatch itself so there is 2 different grounds here so this is not a common ground issue.

Your missing the 12 volts.

4. Patricia Reyes

Patricia Reyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both for your responses! I will double check the fuse with voltometer and replace today...as far as the wires, should i just be checking the connections to make sure they are tight? Where oh where did my 12V go!