1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changes in 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gurmail, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have learned ( when I picked up my Silver #7 a couple of days ago) from this dealer (Toyota dealer since 1960!) that all future Prii will have SE and SS features. The base options will be discontinued, ie probably only two packages like 7 and 9. Hope it helps those deciding whether to wait for the next years model or not.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Just a note: I'd take this with a grain of salt. My understanding is that 2005 model information will be coming in a more official manner; and that it will be disseminated to a lot of dealers at once.

I'm not saying the dealer wasn't being honest; that may be a rumor he's heard through the grapevine.
    [hr:899ae81ced]
    That said, there has been some discussion about reduction of the # of packages in the US -- particularly "Package 0" (nothing, not even the rear wiper), and the non-rear-wiper models. But nothing about such that severe, i.e., 2. (Not that I'd object, as long as #7 (as it is now) was one of them.)

3. mshappe

mshappe New Member

I suspect that Toyota never intended to keep the entire range of options in the first place; but were rather testing the waters to see what was popular. Now they know, so that's what they're going to make more of!

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

that could well be right and the japanese car makers were the pioneers of the 'package' philosophy because of the tranport issue to the US making it harder to really customize piece by piece.

but wasn't there something else on here a while back about the higher packages being reduced, in part because of mercury or some other heavy metal that is mainly found in the high end lights and stuff? or did that turn out to be bunk?

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i see a lot of the safety options being incorporated as standard equipment...especially VSC. and anti skid. its only a matter of time before they will be standard equipment with the same treatment as anti lock brakes with the insurance discounts and what not.

i asked my insurance agent about a discount for VSC and he simply said that it wont happen until there are more cars equiped with it and there is enough data on its role in accidents before they can determine its worth...

kinda sucks really. i cant imagine anyone doubting its ability to provide a safer environment over a wide range of road conditions.

and at the rate im paying for my insurance, i need every break i can get!

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I won't believe anything anyone says about what's going to be available on, or changes to, the 2005 until:

There's an official announcement from Toyota,

OR

Dianne tells us that dealers have received word directly from Toyota.

It would surprise me if such an announcement comes out before the car itself. If there are improvements or bug-fixes, they won't want to encourage people to postpone their purchase, and if there are fewer option packages available, it will sound bad and they won't want to make an announcement at all. Meanwhile, some of the rumors will be true, and some will be false, and we have absolutely no way whatsoever of knowing which are which.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Nobody knows a single solid true fact about the 2005 Prius.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :multi: I do! I do! :multi:

It'll have the word 'Toyota' on it somewhere...

9. Batavier

Batavier Member

And Prius!!

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ha, that's what you think! Be ready for a big curve-ball!

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You mean they aren't spinning the Prius off into it's own Brand Line like Scion?

12. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I stand corrected. I should have said Nobody knows a single solid true and useful fact about the 2005 Prius. :mrgreen:

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't care about ANY changes....I just want mine to be here TODAY!!!!

14. Batavier

Batavier Member

Gotta agree with BobA here. :)

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Outside of a few guys in Japan...

(But I agree with jamarimutt and Daniel -- waiting to hear it through official channels, or Diane.)

16. Dianne

Dianne New Member

There are absolutely no changes to the 2005 Prius. It was talked about to make the rear wiper standard, but in the end, the Toyota powers decided to change absolutely nothing from 2004 to 2005 to enable them to continue building the cars with no stoppage between model years for any reason! I do see, however, a change coming in package mixes. That's only a guess, but I bet we see less cars with NAV in 2005 due to EPA restrictions.

I want to say here that IF there is a change announced, then it's a last minute thing that I will have had no knowledge of!

Dianne

17. mshappe

mshappe New Member

Thanks for the note, Dianne! This pretty well fits what I, at least, had already surmised, but it's good to hear it from someone relatively close to the source!

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am curious, what would the NAV system have to do with the EPA?

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I doubt the rear wiper option will become standard. That would affect the fuel economy due to increased drag (compared to the base model) which is the one that the EPA uses for testing.

(Why do you think the wiper was optional in the first place?)

Nate

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it's not a hybrid I'll eat my hat!

That it'll be a hybrid isn't useful? :wink: :p

However, now that Dianne has spoken I'd say we know. And it makes sense, too. Why schedule down time when there's more demand than they can fill in a year's production?

And I second Wolfman's question: what does NAV have to do with the EPA???