1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changes in Price Paid since Oct 18 MSRP increase?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by kgall, Oct 27, 2009.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I asked this in the Main Forum and didn't get any answers, so I thought I'd ask here in the Pricing section. I also might have asked this too quickly in the other place:

What have folks actually been paying since the MSRPs/invoices on Gen III Prii increased on Oct 18? (Cars.com reports invoice on the Prius II increased $156 while MSRP was going up $400.)
    Are actual prices reflecting the invoice increases, the MSRPs, something in between, or maybe something else?

As anyone who has read my posts probably has figured out, I've been waiting for prices to come down under MSRP, esp. here in GST region, where I have found no give under the old price regime.
    Now I wonder if I outfoxed myself by waiting until prices actually went up . . . .

2. Carolina Dave

Carolina Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I negotiated my deal right when the cars with price increases were about to arrive on the lot. All the cars on the lot were at the old MSRP, and those were the numbers the dealer and i worked with during negotiations, even though I knew the price was going up. They didn't have my car on the lot, so when we finalized our deal, I had to wait a week for my car to arrive. When it arrived, the sticker was at the new MSRP. Since we were negotiating the out the door price, it didn't really matter what the sticker said. I paid exactly what I had worked out before the deal.

So although the price has gone up, as demand has slowed and supplies have increased after cash for clunkers, You likely won't pay much different on the bottom line if the shop around and negotiate well. Most of the increase is in the sticker not in the invoice price the dealer is paying.

3. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our dealership honored any deal written at the old price. Anything since then pricing is based on new pricing. Seems logical to me..

4. LaPriusGuy

LaPriusGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bought my V just over a week ago (after the price increase)... and paid roughly $1,000 below MSRP. I just contacted a few dealers, and when one offered me $800 off, I told the others, and asked who would beat it. Wasn't too tough to get at all. A few tried to give me the "the sky is falling, the price is going up!!!" - I instantly knew those were scare-mongers I didn't want to deal with...

Some tried to tell me the inventory was about to disappear, but strangely enough, they still have those cars on their lots... Guess the inventory was taking a lot longer to disappear than they told me... I basically told them that if the car they were offering disappeared, I could just wait a while and get another one...

Yeah, I'm cynical.. But I'd rather that $1,000 be in my pocket rather than a sleazy salesperson's....