1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changine Oil and Rotating Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shoregeek, Jul 11, 2007.

1. shoregeek

shoregeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All,

I am not the type of person that tinkers with my cars. But, I'm trying to do new things this year... so I am curious if anyone recommends that we do our own oil changes and tire rotations? If so, could someone write up a walk-through? :blink:

If its a computer (Apple or Windows) I can solve it. But when it comes to cars, I just drive and stay out of trouble. :)

Thanks!
    PS: I apologize if there has been a post about this, I couldn't find anything.

-Eric / Shoregeek

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil changes are straight forward and simple. I use Mobil 1 (synthetic), take the used oil to an auto parts store for recycling (Kragen). I used Mobil 1 (larger capacity) oil filters, No. M1-209. Purchase online in quantity (no shipping charge): www.partsamerica.com (Glendale AZ Tel. 877.808.0698). By doing your own oil change you make sure you do not overfill (ca. 3.5 quarts).

Tire rotations are straight forward, but take a little time with an eye for safety. Just check the air pressure in each tire.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shoregeek @ Jul 11 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]477143[/snapback]</div>
    Eric,
    Take a look at John's site, he has a very detailed write-up on changing the oil.
    http://john1701a.com/

4. shoregeek

shoregeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jul 11 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]477207[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, that is really great. Thanks! Of course, the first time doing all of this I don't think I'll save any money as I have to purchase all of the tools, etc.

But I'll look into it.

Question -- does Synthetic oil make that much of a difference?

5. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shoregeek @ Jul 11 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]477236[/snapback]</div>

Yes some folks say Synthetic helps with MPG while other disagree. I use it but only because I think it at least helps keep the engine cleaner. I also rotate the tires which is really a pain. Ideally you need a floor jack (the one with wheels). When you start jacking up opposite corners of your car it can get a little dangerous. I follow this guide when rotating my tires. I've got 22K and still plenty of tread (Integrities).

BTW, since this is your first time changing oil make sure to keep your receipts in a safe place. Document # miles, date, etc.

Cheers,
    b

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I echo what others have said about the oil change. I hadn't changed the oil on a car in 20 years until the Prius; I've since done all of them.

I also rotated my own tires until a Goodyear dealer recently told me that all Goodyear dealers are supposed to offer free rotation on Goodyear tires. It would be worth confirming that with your local Goodyear dealer.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rudy got his first oil change today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow, he gets his tires rotated, and his alignment checked.