1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing a bulb nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by boa8, May 5, 2004.

1. boa8

boa8 New Member

I want to switch halogen bulbs with the brighter ones (still 55W=legal) Osram Silverstar.

But, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do it the way it explained in the manual.
    The space is TOO TIGHT :guns: (especially at the right side of the car).

You have to have a hand of a child and force of an adult to do that!

I guess, it's easier to take off the whole headlight to change bulbs, but I found only two screws above, something else holds it from below.

Anybody has an idea how to do that or I should surrender and ask after-sales service ? :oops:

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know about the Prius by on my Odyssey I have to pull the air cleaner duct to get to the passenger side light. On my wife's old Civic Si, the battery had to come out. Either that or you could just shred your hands trying to grip and unscrew the plastic 'nut'. Depends on how much time you wanted to spend :)

3. boa8

boa8 New Member

Obviously, I don't want to shred my hands. But, if I follow Toyota manual I surely do.

Nevertheless, does anybody knows exactly, how to change bulbs on Prius?

4. boa8

boa8 New Member

Does anybody knows exactly, how to change bulbs on Prius?

That's the typical cold-blooded shameless Toyota marketing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: in action: even for the bulb change you have to go to the Toyota after sales service.

This is unthinkable for European cars. I can do the same work on my BMW in 2 minutes and procedure is very clear in the manual.

BTW: Prius manual written in Gibberish, I think it's a machine translation (BabelfishSoft kind of stuff).

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"boa8\")</div>
    I think you are a super technician who can do it including light height adjustment in 2 minutes. :)

I have "Electric Tech Manual" CDROM, and it says the procedure is 19 steps with 12 figures.
    Unfortunately, it has copyright, and I can't post it.
    Why don't you subscribe http://techinfo.toyota.com/ ?
    It's only US$10 per day, and you can get the information.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

6. boa8

boa8 New Member

1. It's not necessary to do hight adjustment on my BMW as halogen is only for high beam and HID (xenon) is for the low beam.
    Apples to apples I'm comparing just switch of the bulb.

2. Thanks for your advice Ken. However, Toyota Techinfo "At this time we can only accept accounts from subscribers with US mailing and billing addresses. ". And there is no such resource in Europe.

You assume I'm stupid, but I think it's your native Toyota, which is not only screwing us here with 30% higher prices than in US and Japan, but stripping altogether valuable options/accessories (HID, autodimming backup mirror, parking camera etc.) and withholding technical information to please their dealers.

They are stupid because they think that we'll eat this s--t without noticing.

Big mistake.

7. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

Wow....the halogen bulbs aren't bright enough? Hmmm.......how 'bout sending me your "old" bulbs when you finally get them changed......I love mine. How in the world did you end up with a Toyota in the first place? Seems you are a solid Beemerhead........

8. boa8

boa8 New Member

I'll send bulbs to you if you explain me how exactly I'm suppose to change them, promise.

You're right, more I know about Toyota cars, the more I'm surprised at myself...

9. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

boa8,

I have been to the techinfo.toyota.com site and have downloaded several docs.....don't know if I have the one that will give you the info but I'll be glad to check when I get home and contact you here if I find anything.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    why bother changing the bulb for a car you will supposedly only own a few months?

11. boa8

boa8 New Member

Because I'm ashamed to drive with these yellowish lights, InTheMiddleOfNowhere.

12. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were you...
    A. Find a friend in the US.
    B. Ask local dealer to get the info.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

13. boa8

boa8 New Member

Thanks for your valuable advice, Ken.
    You helped to me to understand what's the source of Toyota wisdom... :idea: :idea: :idea:

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    boa8

i live in the US and i think its BS that Toyota charges us for info that they should provide free to owners. especially for something as basic as changing the bulb on the car.

15. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"ken1784\")</div>
    If I were you...
    A. Find a friend in the US.
    B. Ask local dealer to get the info. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry for my poor English.
    I meant "B. Ask local dealer how do they get the info.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"boa8\")</div>
    I believe it is nice to have a good relationship with a dealer.
    Anyway, good luck with your future BMW purchase.
    Hope you can get it as soon as it is available.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

PS. I don't like to edit a previous post as "N/A" which cuts the thread.

16. boa8

boa8 New Member

Finally I got complete info how to change main headlamp bulb on my beloved Prius.
    Thanks for help to well known people at this forum who provided temporary access to Toyota TechInfo resource to non US resident.

So,

Bad news</span>, folks.

To change the main bulb (halogen or HID) entire front bumper to be removed (chapters 65-13 and 76-2 of Repair Manual).

Why? Because the third screw which is holding Headlamp Assy is located behind the bumper cover from outer sides of the car.

This is not an easy operation as in the process:

(1) RH & LH Front fender liners to be partially removed (4 screws on the each side from beneath of the car)
    (2) Protective tape to be put under the front fenders
    (3) To release bumper cover 5 screws to be removed from beneath, 2 screws and 8 clips from above. 2 fog lamp connectors to be disconnected (if you have them) and 4 claws to be disengaged.
    (4) Only after all that third Headlamp Assy screw could be removed, Headlamp Assy taken out and bulb replaced.

<span style=\'color:blue\'>This is quite messy piece of engineering in my humble view.

Headlamp should be definitely fixed differently, and you don’t need to be a genius to figure how.

P.S. Frankly, I’m not interested anymore in all this Toyota mess and happy that I don’t need to waste my time on researching this car.
    I will use this Prius vehicule few month untill the car I want will be available...

Good Buy Everybody.

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on the RH side of the car you have to take off the air cleaner induction pipe to gain access to the bulb holder. When you go to put the dust protector back on put a thin smear of silicone grease (not RTV) on the outer surface of the base of the bulb so the shield slides on easily. I put the Silver Star's in mine and they are really nice to use at night.

18. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Erm, yes. It was a "good buy" :)roll:) indeed. I love mine!

Incidentally, the service manual section you were reading deals with overhauling (a complete teardown and rebuild) of the headlight assembly, not just replacing the bulb.

Dave

19. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

20. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yah, my purchase was also a good buy. :)

Japanese folks are saying they'll never return to an ordinary car and are happy to participate to protect the global warming.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan