1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing a car's color (i.e. spray painted)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wishes, Jul 12, 2006.

1. wishes

wishes New Member

I've been waiting 4 months for a black pkg 5, have to wait more but am looking at other dealers now to see if I can't my car elsewhere.

There's a silver package 5 coming in to my dealer (who I hate, but whatever). I really, REALLY am not fond of the silver, but with the money and time I'd be saving vs. going to another dealer (having to wait for the car and paying MSRP) maybe I could just change the color of the car myself.

Anyone know how much it usually costs to get the whole car spray painted? Do they do a good job? (My brother got his white car changed to blue, and they did a good job). Will it be the "same" black as the black it would have come in originally?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suppose you could get it painted the official Toyota black by an authorized Toyota Body shop. But it is going to be really expensive. Rough guess would be about $500 per panel. Four doors, hood, trunk, four fenders, two bumpers, back...uh....$6,500 dollars? Maybe you could get a deal for half that. Still seems very expensive. Cheaper to just buy a black Prius even if you have to wait or pay MSRP. And I think repainting the car would effect depreciation and lower the resale value too.

3. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I haven't ever seen a re-colored car that didn't show some interior edge bits in the original color...Are you SURE waiting wouldn't work better for you? Or trying to call around to other dealers and try to find an "unclaimed" one. I found a black package 3 in about four days, calling dealers up to a couple of hundred miles away, and ended up with one 20 miles from home, from a truly excellent dealership. (I am REALLY not gloating--I'm just trying to be helpful, and I was looking for a lower package anyway, so it was likely much easier...plus, I didn't get to pick the interior color, which would NOT have been the bisque that I got...)

4. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you would be making a big mistake having the vehicle repainted. If you really are thinking of doing this, then I would suggest you taking the vehicle to a shop that does vehicle restoration...now you are looking at some serious money to have it you way. I would be shopping the eastcoast for a dealer who may have one. I saw one at Rice Toyota in Greensboro North Carolina this week, I don't know what package it is, but their web site is ricetoyota.com

Good Luck :unsure:

5. kDB

kDB New Member

unless you want a non-prius color, it's not worth it. for a good paint job your looking at $2000+. and you'd have to let them have the car for about a week, unless the shop pretty much has nothing else to do.

it would be cheaper to look at dealerships in the another state.

6. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

NO,NO,NO. Nothing is better than a factory paint job, unless you are going to spend $$$$$

7. wishes

wishes New Member

Thanks for the info everyone! I CAN wait (I've been patient this long, I know I can wait some more...it's just HARD) and I have already applied to several dealers to get some quotes/waiting times. So, we'll see.

BTW, I thought there was a way to "special order" a Prius and it would be built and shipped within 6 weeks. Manager at the dealership said there is no such thing.

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

This depends on how vain you are.

If you're pretty relaxed overall... You could do the job for under $100.

Get some newspaper, masking tape and some high quality spray paint and go at it....

4 or 5 hours, the car will be black... no biggie..

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want a black Prius and really feel like you can't wait, I think there's a better way to go about it than painting a silver one. Figure how much a good paint job would cost, and go to dealers prepared to offer that much over MSRP for a black Prius. If you're willing to go $2K over MSRP (the MINIMUM I can imagine a decent paint job costing), I'll bet you can find a dealer that will offer you one.

That said, if you widen your search radius, you definately should be able to find one at MSRP; it just takes a little work; Prii aren't nearly as rare as they used to be, and even several months ago, there were stories of people buying them within a week of starting to look.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe there's a TV show that'd be willing to pimp your ride for free if you volunteered the car?

Can't hurt to ask...

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the U.S. the Prius is sold by "whatever comes in to the dealership." Some dealers are willing to trade among each other to accommodate customers' preferences. But you cannot "special order." The best you can hope for is to find a dealer whose allocation includes the car you want, and claim it before someone else does.

MY RECOMMENDATION on car color: Whatever color you get, you'll learn to like it. But if you are willing to wait, do so: a few weeks extra waiting for a car you'll have for years.

Or you could get the silver one and paint flames on it, like hot-rodders do.

12. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was a black Prius on the Carlsbad lot Monday when I was there..you could fly out here for vacation and then drive back!
    Course it is probably gone by now...there was a used Magnetic Grey on the Lexus lot next door. I hope they have that color available when I trade up in 08.