1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing AC compressor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteamPunk Willie, Jun 1, 2011.

1. SteamPunk Willie

SteamPunk Willie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the skinny,

I am a relatively new Prius owner of a few months and I am at a complete loss for how these things work. I am a DIYer of all my vehicle maintenance and this car has me sidelined. I ended up getting a rehabed ("totaled" then rebuilt) 2006 Prius and noticed right away the AC wasn't blowing cold. Took it back to the lot, they said it was a hole in the hose and they replaced it. Blew cold air for a few weeks after then quit. Return trip turned out to be the compressor was bad and needed replacement (this time on my dime). I looked up new at $700+ / reman at $500+ / ebay at $150-200. Obviously went the last route and got a used one with 31K from LKQ.

Here's the rub,

I got the ND11 and 134a and know how to vac and charge the system, but the issue I have is the orange plug.
    I have been lectured by a few hybrid mechanics of the dangerous task of not electrocuting ones self when dealing with anything orange under the hood. One explained that there is a "circuit breaker" of sorts or a fuse somewhere that will discharge the system for maintenance.

Anyone know the location of said shut off switch and what method I would go through to properly kill the system and not myself?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you are going to DIY on relatively advanced projects, I strongly recommend that you obtain Toyota repair manual info which you can download at techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website. That will save you substantial time and uncertainty, not to mention enabling you to observe all relevant safety precautions. It is certainly possible to install the incorrect amount of refrigerant so it would help you to have the specific repair procedure as prescribed in the repair manual.

Regarding your specific question, the orange traction battery interlock switch is located at the left side of the traction battery which can be seen when you open the hatch and remove the hatch floor trim. After removing that switch, use a voltmeter to ensure 0V on the orange high voltage lines leading to the AC compressor before you contact them.

Typically voltage will be 0V within a few minutes after the car is made IG-OFF, as the electrolytic capacitors in the inverter will discharge after a brief period. However you should measure the voltage to be sure.

Carefully note how you remove the orange switch and ensure that you reinstall it exactly the same way, including sliding the switch when locking into place.

3. SteamPunk Willie

SteamPunk Willie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I appreciate the the info.

I made a call to a guy with access to ALLDATA and he said that in their literature it showed a full rubber suit with grounding tether. Have you or anyone else here attempted to turn this switch off, and if so, what type of protective gear was worn?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I have done so and removed the switch.

Zero protective gear. The Toyota repair manual suggests that you wear high voltage insulating gloves when contacting high voltage cables (any cable with the orange plastic armor.)

If you measure the voltage with a voltmeter to confirm zero volts at the points which you will be contacting, then wearing the gloves is the equivalent of wearing suspenders and a belt (IMO.) However since Toyota must be sensitive to the probability of lawsuits from unaware individuals who manage to injure themselves, their repair manual advice is super conservative.

1 person likes this.