1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing "auto" headlight sensor sensitivity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rodney1, May 23, 2006.

1. rodney1

rodney1 Junior Member

I'd like to adjust the sensitivity of the headlight sensor....

In my '06 Prius, if I have the headlight switch in "auto", they don't go off automatically when I think they should.

The Owner's Manual (p. 110) says:

Position 3 ("AUTO") ... They automatically turn on or off depending
    on the darkness of the surroundings (*)
    (*) The sensitivity can be changed. Ask your Toyota dealer for details.
    The automatic light control sensor is on the top of the driver's side
    instrument panel.

I certainly see that sensor, and nothing is blocking or obscuring it, but even in full, bright daylight, if I have the switch on "auto", the lights never go off. (The headlight indicator icon stays on, and the lights are on.)

So is changing that sensitivity something I can do myself if I just find the right magic screen on the display? I've hunted here, but can't find anything about doing this.

-- Rodney

2. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If your car was purchased in the U.S., then it does NOT have AUTO headlights. Are you mistaking the climate control's sun sensor for the headlight sensor?

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure you have auto headlights? I dont know anyone here in the states that have them. I could be wrong.

Do you have the "Auto" on your headlight stalk? If you do thats beyond what I know. If you dont you do not have auto headlights. AFAIK only US and maybe a few other places dont have the auto headlights.

4. rodney1

rodney1 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wrprice @ May 23 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]259955[/snapback]</div>
    1. Yes, I bought the car in the U.S. But the Owner's Manual makes no distinction about country when it talks about the headlight switch and sensor. It does make such country distinctions elsewhere, I think.

2. I have three settings on the headlight switch. If #3 is not AUTO, what is it?

2. I have two sensors in the top left corner of the dashboard. One concave, one convex. Isn't one of those (the convex one, I think), the headlight sensor?

-- Rodney

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rodney1 @ May 23 2006, 03:21 PM) [snapback]259959[/snapback]</div>
    The three positions are: Off, Parking Lights, Headlights.

The concave spot is the empty space where the sensor would be located if the car were equipped with auto headlights. If you were to look at a car which is equipped with automatic headlights (i.e., in Canada), you will see two convex sensors.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. The first is "OFF", the 2nd is a dot and the third is the "headlight" symbol. If you had auto headlights, there'll be a 4th spot labelled "AUTO"

Anything automatic will have an "AUTO" label... windows, lights, wipers, a/c etc.