1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing Battery before Xmas Lights come on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lebronja, Mar 25, 2015.

1. lebronja

lebronja New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All!

I am looking into getting a used Toyota Prius & am currently looking around at the moment. I notice that some vehicles have gotten "batteries changed", but after research it seems there are two different types of batteries that can be changed. the HV & the Volt batts. I understand the HV one is the wallet killer. But here goes my question.. if I purchase a used Prius (2007 most likely) that has under 150K (I live in CA), am I able to take it to the Toyota Dealership to change the HV battery, which is under warranty, before the warranty runs out, even if the sensor lights do not come on to change it? I'm just worried I'm going to get a Prius & then all a sudden the HV fails at 155K or something & I'm SOL. Please help! Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. you can't beat the system. if you buy a used prius, especially an older or high mileage one, that' an expense you have to be prepared for at some point. all cars suffer expensive repairs at some point. prius is one of the highest reliability, and lowest cost of maintenance to own. but that's an average, and not specific to you or me.

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What he said ^^^^^.
    But you should take that into consideration when you think about a fair price to pay.

The cheaper battery is a 12V one similar to all other cars and only runs you about $200.
    At ~7 years and over 100K miles, that will need to be done if it hasn't already been.