1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing fan speed control on steering wheel ?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by howardbc, Aug 31, 2009.

1. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As a Phoenix, Arizona, Prius 2008 owner, I wish there was a fan speed control button on the steering wheel. I appreciate the comments from Norway and Massachusetts, but here in the heat of Arizona, I always have the temp set at "Lo" and am constantly changing the fan speed manually. 'Seems like it would be a lot safer if one could change it via the steering wheel. Does anyone else in Phoenix agree?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not from Phoenix, but I can suggest that if you switch to auto on your climate control, you can do everything you need to do with the steering wheel buttons.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, Tom. I am aware of the ability to turn the A/C on full blast using the "Auto" button on the steering wheel, but hitting the Up/Down arrows near the "Auto" button on the steering wheel only changes the temperature, not the fan speed. If the fan can be made to work through these Up/Down buttons, I would love to know how. Thanks again.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a wasteful setting!
    On the "LO" setting, the A/C compressor always works hard.

If I were in AZ, I set the A/C Auto and temperature desired.
    When the cabin temp is higher than the set temp, the A/C compressor works hard and the fan speed is also high.
    When the cabin temp becomes same as the set temp,the A/C compressor works a little and the fan speed becomes low.
    When you think you'll need cooler and more fan speed, you just set the temp lower. Then, the A/C compressor works little hard and the fan speed goes up.

I believe the variable speed electric controlled Auto A/C is more intelligent than your manual control fan speed with "LO" setting. :)

Ken@Japan

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When in Auto, the steering wheel buttons control the entire response of the A/C system. Fan speed will change as temperature changes. In other words, as you change the temperature setpoint, the fan will automatically speed up or slow down as necessary. Don't pay much attention to the numerical setting, just move it up and down until you are happy with the speed/temperature combination.

Tom

6. howardbc

howardbc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Changing default airflow setting when using Auto

Okay, I'm now using only the "Auto" setting, even though seeing higher temps messes with my mind and tells me that I am not as cool and comfortable as I was before. Using the Auto feature hasn't improved my MPG either.

Question: Is there a way to make the default air flow setting to be for the dual "face and feet" setting? When I am in the "Auto" mode, the airflow defaults to air on my face only. I did look through my owner's manual for air conditioning related subjects. I didn't see where it mentions changing the default airflow when in Auto.

Thanks, everyone, for all the feedback.