1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing from Farenheit to Celcius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by georgekessel, Aug 5, 2006.

1. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry for all these questions but I live in Canada so does anyone know how to change the Prius from F to C ?

I've been told the ODO can't be changed to KM but I hope I can change the temperature and MPG to L/100 ?

2. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 5 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]298290[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Try pressing the button in the lower right corner of the this graphic -

[​IMG]

3. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 5 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]298290[/snapback]</div>
    So I take it you bought your Prius in the US.

This topic has come up in the past, and the consensus was that it can't be done without the dealer scan tool, and even then nobody seemed to know how to do it. There was some speculation that one or more of the ECUs may actually need to be changed (which I don't believe to be true).

There are several different configurations for different countries. For instance, the US is all US measurements, Canada is all metric, and the UK is a combination of C temps and MPG (I think that's Imp gallons too).

The button Frank is referring to only changes the speedo, not the odo.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah he did.

You can't change the temperature reading (although, if you watch carefully, it's actually calculated in Celsius and converted into Fahrenheit)

You can only change the speedo, unforunately, unless Canadian Tire does conversions.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm thinking of buying mine in the US as well. Did they make you add DRLs when you got here? If so, how did you do it?

Oh, and I just remembered - there is a topic somewhere around here about getting into the "extra menus" on the MFD. One of the menus allowed you to change the cars destination re units displayed. From the gist of the posting you can change that stuff without the Toyota unit.

6. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 5 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]298368[/snapback]</div>
    Can you help me find that post? I"d sure love to change back to Metric.

Yes I added DRL's to my Prius via the Dealer for $250+tax. It's really a much better deal to buy it in the US instead of Canada. I saved $5900 total after all expenses, duties, fees and that $250 mentioned above. If you do bring one in, be sure it's brand new so that you can apply for the $2000 BC Alternative Fuel Vehicle PST rebate (I did that).

7. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 5 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]298348[/snapback]</div>
    Like if you have quick enough eye, you can see it carry the one or something? ;)

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecojosh @ Aug 5 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]298410[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think Alberta has any gov't incentives, only BC, ON and PEI.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JasonQG @ Aug 5 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]298415[/snapback]</div>
    No, certain numbers don't show. For example, it'll show 75°F, then jump to 77°F (24°C - 25°C). It'll skip 76.

9. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, found it. It's over on PriusOnline.com.
    Go to Prius Technical then to switching from f to c. There's a url at the very end which shows pictures of the MFD when in the extra screens. It still may not be possible, as one poster said he tried to switch it and it ignored him.

10. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 5 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]298511[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that's right. It's been tried, but without success.

11. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 5 2006, 09:13 PM) [snapback]298530[/snapback]</div>
    It's all in spanish too, and it doesn't really tell me how to get into the first menu :(

Maybe I should hope for my MFD to malfunction so that they will replace it with a new one here in Canada?

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 5 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]298427[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Just how hot does it get in Canada?! :lol:

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's odd that only the speedo converts. I used to have a 1990 Ford Probe with the digital display and when you pushed the "Metric" button, EVERYTHING changed. The temperature, speedo, ODO, average mileage, instantaneous mileage and average speed all shifted over. Too bad I never got a chance to use it, but Toyota should have that too.

14. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually, if you read the whole topic, Danman posted on how to get into the menu. Something about pressing a button and flashing brake lamps.

A dealer may be able to do it for you. Are you on good terms with the service guys at any Canadian dealership? How about where you bought it?

I've been offered a Canadian Prius for $2500 under Canadian MSRP (package "B"). A friend has been researching buying in the US, and plans on getting a BMW this fall there. He has all the details, and calculated around $5000 difference for the Prius ($7000 for the BMW!), but with the offer I got it's only $2500, and with DRLs, only $2250 difference. All price calcs. are with $1000 added for trip expenses to go and pick it up. If I get an "extended warrenty" (another ripoff), I can save another $1000 or so if I buy an American car (the $990 platinum warrenty offered here can't be used for a Canadian car).

I understand Toyota Canada are sueing those who are importing for profit. This makes me think Toyota Canada are a bunch of "fat cats" who don't like sharing their silver spoons! I hope they loose their lawsuit.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Aug 6 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]298601[/snapback]</div>
    Oops! hehe. Thanks for pointing that out, it has been corrected

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Aug 6 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]298616[/snapback]</div>

Funny... here in BC, more or less all Toyota dealers practice price fixing. No dealer is willing to budge (or if you want to look at the upside, no dealer is marking up the price).

16. georgekessel

georgekessel Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 6 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]298624[/snapback]</div>
    Yes the do price fix here in BC. I really wanted HID headlamps so the only way to do this was to get an American car. Plus I really did save $5900 after every expense. EVERY expense including gas to get over the border, broker fees, credit card fees, 6.1% duty, $100 AC surcharge, $250 to add DRL's, etc..

You must admit, $5900 is a lot to save (I actually saved more b/c I had the leather put on in the USA for $1400 including heated seats which I was quoted the equivilant of $1850US in Canada to do).

So, my strong recomendation is to BUY IT IN THE USA. Take the $5900 and use it for something good. Don't line some fat cat's pockets for no reason!

I really like my HID's - they blow away factory halogens.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I've seen the HIDs when I head down to the States. They're bright and yet they have a really good cut off so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.