1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing my evil ways

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Birdums, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After riding shotgun with Jim last weekend, I started thinking about how I could increase my mileage on my commute. I thought of a route I hadn't taken before, and decided to give it a try. I had just filled the car up recently, and had made one trip to work and back, and had an average of about 55 mpg. Usually, I start higher and drop the mpg during the course of the tank. But I tried the new route, and in one full roundtrip to work and home, upped my mpg to 59.9! Today blew it, as I hauled my family out to a birthday lunch (5 adults, none of us small), and most of the way to the restaurant was highway driving. It dropped my tank average to 53.8, but I am going to recover most of that during my new commute. I'm excited!

I haven't used my EBH yet; I haven't purchased a timer. I need to read a little more here, to decide what sort of timer would be best for me, and what the best vent-blocking material to use would be, and I should be set! Now, if I can only find a way to plug in the EBH at work... :)

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think that's one of the best ways to learn. Follow it up with the reversal - you drive ane he critiques as you go. That helped for me too.

I am using the EBH without a timer rather than not use it. It's getting chilly up here some mornings.

I used the foam pipe insulation - it's simple, cheap and works. Lots of pics have been posted. Search for "blocked grill".

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, you can get a timer for $10 at the supermarket! Very popular for Christmas lights soon.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The pipe foam insulation only costs approx. $2 at wal mart, one package is all you will need (4 strips). I have been partially blocking and it seems to really helps in the mornings but not as much if at all in the afternoon.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Awesome! With just a little more practice, 60 MPG is a done deal!

6. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 7 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]522566[/snapback]</div>
    Yep! I think I can, I think I can... :)

I stopped by my Toyota dealership today, to let them check out the door damage. They admired the Prius decals and vent visors, but they were just totally blown away by the mileage you got on our 'run'. I told them they really needed to check this place out if they wanted to really be informed about what they were selling. I told them to go to youtube and check you out, too :)

They thought the door damage could be buffed out with compound. I hate the thought of using compound so early in DuPree's life, though. I think of compound as a sort of last resort, not to be used frequently. I know that buffing is actually removing some paint, and although it is very little, I still don't like the thought of it.