1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing My Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPhotog, Oct 8, 2005.

1. PriusPhotog

PriusPhotog New Member

I've just gone over 10,000 miles and am ready for another oil change. I had it done at the certified Toyota dealer last time and the result was too much oil. I had them redo it and it was only slightly better. I ended up just going with it out of sheer frustration. I've never changed oil before, but I would really like to start. I've read john1701a's PDF document and have a few questions:

1) Where should I buy an oil filter?
    2) If I have a receipt for the oil and oil filter, is that sufficient to prove an oil change for warranty purposes?

Thank you for the help, as I really want to do everything right.

2. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I go to a quick oil change place. I select the oil I want, bring four quarts to the employee and ask that he pour in 3.5 quarts. The remainder 0.5 qt. I take home and add it later if necessary. I use the replacement Purolator filter they sell. Total cost is $22. For me, doing it yourself is not worth it.

3. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

Do you know if the Prius warranty or extended waranty is in anyway contingent on the use of toyota oil filters or oil changes? I have this requirment on my current car (soon to be gone) and hate it. After hereing how many dealer sput to much oil in I am sure if there is no requirment I will use valvoline oil changes they are very quick and actually ask if you want more or less than it says in the computer and will show you the dip stick before they even close the hood. If anyone knows I would love to know.

BTW I agree changing my oil myself just is not generally worth it to me either.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you can get the oil filter at toyota, or at an auto parts store as long as you get the right size. if you bring in the receipts the service department should verify for warranty purposes.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1)
    Buy the oil filter and the crush washer at your local Toyota dealer. My local Toyota dealer includes the crush washer with the oil filter purchase.

I tried to buy a fram filter from a auto parts store but they didn't have the correct washer so... Just go with the Toyota filter.

2)
    If you use a Toyota oil filter, and 10w30 or 5w30, you should be fine with the warranty.

On another note... Changing the oil in the Prius is super easy! You don't even have to jack the car up to get the oil filer.

However... because the oil filter is perfectly vertical, oil will run down your arm... Poke a hole in the bottom of it with a nail and a hammer... makes removing the filter much easier.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

A car manufacturer cannot, under law, require you to get THEIR replacement parts. They can only require the type, such as synthetic or no, oil weight, etc.

My dealer only got the oil level right once without me beating it over their head. They got it right last time because I had to beat them into submission.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I retained the receipts for the oil, filter, washer, and shop time, then changed the oil myself on base. I'm not paying someone else to do it unless it's a major inconvenience for me to save money.

The only oil change I've had done on my Prius at a dealer resulted in an overfill......like everyone else. The last one I did myself was spot-on, cost less, and included synthetic oil.