1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing my own oil...Do I need to worry about saving receipts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swamibob, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Swamibob

Swamibob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I do my own oil changes, if something goes wrong with the engine do I have to prove I changed the oil or do they have to prove I didn't follow the schedule or the oil was not in good enough condition to protect the engine from failure?

Thanks,
    Swamibob

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most definitely, save your receipts. It's the only proof you have that the oil change was done. It wouldn't hurt to note the mileage, too, either in a log book or on the receipt.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    save the receipt, write the date and VIN and mileage on it.

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swamibob @ Aug 10 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]301188[/snapback]</div>
    The law says they have to prove it was something you did that caused it to fail. THBS, I'd be sure to document if you can.

FWIW, I change my own. How do I prove it? Again, they need to prove I screwed it up.

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I change my own oil too, and I mark in the Maintenance Guide the date and mileage when I do it as well as saving the receipts for the oil and filter. If you have all of that documentation, that's proof enough that you maintained your car within the manufacturer's recommendations, and they can't blame you for problems due to the oil (like the sludge problems several car makers, including Toyota, have had in the past).

6. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Maybe I'm the fool, but I don't save them. I do note in the maintenance log the date, mileage, oil type and quantity used. I figure if they attempt to deny a warranty issue based on the fact that I don't have receipts, I'll just threaten to get an oil analysis and see if that doesn't change their tune.

For what it's worth, I don't think Toyota would put themselves into that position in the first place. One look at your dipstick and they can tell if the oil has been changed regularly or not.

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Aug 11 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]301444[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. This is one of those areas where the term 'reasonable' comes into play. Should an engine failure occur and Toyota decides to fight the warranty claim based on failure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule, would an arbitrator believe the owner followed the maintenance schedule based solely on recorded dates? Should it come to that, given an oil analysis which backed the records, I would be inclined to say yes.

Accordingly, what's to say that someone who had receipts of oil/filter purchases actually performed the changes? All those receipts prove is that oil and a filter were purchased, not that they were changed. Again, an oil analysis would verify this.

8. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

My dealership offers free oil changes for the lifetime of the car as long as I own it. This was a PLUS for me in choosing a dealer in my area.

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Aug 11 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]301444[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. I have 3 cars and buy the oil by the gallon, whenever and wherever. I never save receipts. I've never had an issue with warranty, but never had any oil related problems, except the ocassional leak or bad gasket, always fixed under warranty. Good luck. I do keep logbook notes, but have never been asked for them.

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Aug 13 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]302743[/snapback]</div>
    If you change the oil every 5000 miles, you'll do 20 oil changes in 100,000 miles. Oil and filter costs the dealer perhaps $15 tops, so they're spending on you $300. You'll likely spend more than that buying accesories or having additional work done on the car during some of the visits. This seems like a good strategy for any dealer.